First Infection...what to do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrawford

Reaction score
I had a little too much sparged wort that wouldn't fit in my brew pot. So I just put it in a growler....and let it sit...and sit. Its been 2 weeks now and that stuff is nasty. It fermented and is most definitely sour - every time I unscrew the growler top a bit to release the pressure i get a nasty sour smell in the kitchen. Is there anything to do with this "beer". It was never boiled so the nasties were probably in the grain (MO) and it doesn't have any hops.

I was debating using this mixed in for a sour or something but i'll probably just dump it out...and then run out of the kitchen.

If you have any good ideas let me know. Otherwise its down the drain.

-Patrick

Unless wort is cooled quickly after the boil and yeast is pitched you give time for other organisms to start multiplying in your wort. If too much time passes then the damage is done and off flavors or severely infected beer is the result. I personally would just toss it as I am not into sour beer at all.

Unless wort is cooled quickly after the boil and yeast is pitched you give time for other organisms to start multiplying in your wort. If too much time passes then the damage is done and off flavors or severely infected beer is the result. I personally would just toss it as I am not into sour beer at all.

He never boiled it.

It's probably primarily a lactobacillus infection - grain is crawling with it. However, I'm sure that there was some other interesting critters on the grain, and subsequently, causing the infection.

Although, since it's pretty uncontrolled, I'd just toss it. I've done the same thing just to see what the result was and it came out pretty nasty. I was going to use it to blend, but it got really funky after a while.

Back