First IIPA - How's it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slider46

Reaction score
I've come to like certain IPAs. How's this look for my first?

2 Gallon Batch Size

- 3lb 4oz Golden Light DME
- 4oz Crystal 60L

2.5 Gallon Boil (45 minutes)

- 1/2 oz Warrior @ 30min
- 1/4 oz Cascade @ 10min
- 1/4 oz Cascade @ 5min
- 1/4 oz Cascade @ 1min
- 1 oz Cascade Dry-Hop (7 days in primary after fermentation is complete)

OG: 1.074
FG: 1.020
SRM: 10
IBU: ~60
ABV: ~7.2%

Might as well up those IBUs a bit... like by 40-60 :) Try first wort hopping it. Which yeast are you using?

I've come to like certain IPAs and I'd like the challenge of a "big" beer. How's this look for my first?

(Assuming 65% efficiency)

2 Gallon Batch Size

- 3lb 7oz Golden Light DME
- 7oz Crystal 60L

2.5 Gallon Boil (45 minutes)

- 1/2 oz Warrior @ 45min
- 1/4 oz Cascade @ 10min
- 1/4 oz Cascade @ 5min
- 1/4 oz Cascade @ 1min
- 1/5 oz Cascade Dry-Hop (7 days in primary after fermentation is complete)

OG: 1.081
FG: 1.022
SRM: 12
IBU: ~60
ABV: ~8%

Well, you have to assume 100% efficiency since you're using extract. You won't get much out of the crystal, but with the DME you'll get an OG of 1.078ish. I get about 55 IBUs just from the warrior, and you'll get a little bit from the cascade.

1/4 ounce sounds pretty light for flavor and aroma additions, but I'm used to 5 gallon batches. Usually, I would use an ounce at each addition for a 5 gallon batch. Can you at least double your hops (not the warrior) if you want to make an IPA?

Well, you have to assume 100% efficiency since you're using extract. You won't get much out of the crystal, but with the DME you'll get an OG of 1.078ish. I get about 55 IBUs just from the warrior, and you'll get a little bit from the cascade.

1/4 ounce sounds pretty light for flavor and aroma additions, but I'm used to 5 gallon batches. Usually, I would use an ounce at each addition for a 5 gallon batch. Can you at least double your hops (not the warrior) if you want to make an IPA?

I had a slight mis-calculation with the boil size (i'm using beer calculus)

Doubling the hops bring it to ~70 IBUs. Is that not enough? I'm starting to get scared..... :drunk: :D

I had a slight mis-calculation with the boil size (i'm using beer calculus)

Doubling the hops bring it to ~70 IBUs. Is that not enough? I'm starting to get scared..... :drunk: :D

Well, don't double the warrior if you don't want it bitter. But the flavor and aroma hops don't provide much, if any, bitterness and if you want an IPA, you have to have flavor and aroma hops.

You actually said you wanted to make an IIPA- that's where you'd want to have more bitterness and even MORE hops than I suggested. I'm talking about just a simple IPA.

Well, don't double the warrior if you don't want it bitter. But the flavor and aroma hops don't provide much, if any, bitterness and if you want an IPA, you have to have flavor and aroma hops.

You actually said you wanted to make an IIPA- that's where you'd want to have more bitterness and even MORE hops than I suggested. I'm talking about just a simple IPA.

Gotcha. So IIPA is more than just big in the sense of gravity? Tons of hops are neccesary as well? Perhaps i'll just stick with an IPA for now :eek:

Edited.

Gotcha. So IIPA is more than just big in the sense of gravity? Tons of hops are neccesary as well? Perhaps i'll just stick with an IPA for now :eek:

Edited.

Oh, yeah, they're different styles.

14B. American IPA
Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower level than in English examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted.

Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to off-white color should persist.

Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to high, and should reflect an American hop character with citrusy, floral, resinous, piney or fruity aspects. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will support the strong hop character and provide the best balance. Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required. The bitterness may linger into the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish. Some clean alcohol flavor can be noted in stronger versions. Oak is inappropriate in this style. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel without hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Some smooth alcohol warming can and should be sensed in stronger (but not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English counterparts.

Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale.

History: An American version of the historical English style, brewed using American ingredients and attitude.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate. Versions with a noticeable Rye character (“RyePA”) should be entered in the Specialty category.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

Commercial Examples: Bell’s Two-Hearted Ale, AleSmith IPA, Russian River Blind Pig IPA, Stone IPA, Three Floyds Alpha King, Great Divide Titan IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin’, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Founder’s Centennial IPA, Anchor Liberty Ale, Harpoon IPA, Avery IPA
American IPA:

IIPA:
Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma that can be derived from American, English and/or noble varieties (although a citrusy hop character is almost always present). Most versions are dry hopped and can have an additional resinous or grassy aroma, although this is not absolutely required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is typical. Some alcohol can usually be noted, but it should not have a “hot” character.

Appearance: Color ranges from golden amber to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with off-white color should persist.

Flavor: Hop flavor is strong and complex, and can reflect the use of American, English and/or noble hop varieties. High to absurdly high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will generally support the strong hop character and provide the best balance. Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required. A long, lingering bitterness is usually present in the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish. A clean, smooth alcohol flavor is usually present. Oak is inappropriate in this style. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-light to medium body. No harsh hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Smooth alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: An intensely hoppy, very strong pale ale without the big maltiness and/or deeper malt flavors of an American barleywine. Strongly hopped, but clean, lacking harshness, and a tribute to historical IPAs. Drinkability is an important characteristic; this should not be a heavy, sipping beer. It should also not have much residual sweetness or a heavy character grain profile.

Comments: Bigger than either an English or American IPA in both alcohol strength and overall hop level (bittering and finish). Less malty, lower body, less rich and a greater overall hop intensity than an American Barleywine. Typically not as high in gravity/alcohol as a barleywine, since high alcohol and malt tend to limit drinkability. A showcase for hops.

History: A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); can use a complex variety of hops (English, American, noble). American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.090
IBUs: 60 – 120 FG: 1.010 – 1.020
SRM: 8 – 15 ABV: 7.5 – 10%

My biggest critique is that it is only 2 gallons...if you get your wife liking the hops you will need a lot more :)

I would add more hops by both quantity and type. Cascade can be nicely balanced with Simcoe or even Centennial. When I get above 70 pts for brews like IPA's I use a little corn sugar to lighten the body some.

I would just double the the 10min hops...the rest looks good.

Is there anyway you can get that FG a little lower than 1.022?

Other than that, looks good! 1oz of dry hop in 2 gallon batch is quite a hefty addition :) Going to be a great hop-smelly beer!

Latest posts

Back