First Homebrew experience, suspect infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenloco

Reaction score
Hello ! Ive been lurking the forums for a while and a week ago I decided I was ready to try my hand at BIAB, here we dont have access to extracts so my first time had to be all grain. I sanitized with bleach but Im afraid I might have screwed up, beer has developed a thick, sponge-like, bubbly layer on top after a week. Doesnt smell bad, its quite hoppy actually, but Im worried I might have to just throw it away and try a new batch.

Def doesnt look like krausen , am I in the right? First picture is taken looking down the carboy neck and second one from the side (quality is crap as its dark green and there is no light in my basement).

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 20.56.12.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 20.56.32.jpeg

Hope to hear your inputs , cheers!

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies. Heres another photo after moving the carboy around a bit, this is the best lighting I can muster.
And no , I didnt dry hop, though the worth had a noticeable cold break when I transferred , have no access to clarifiers atm.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 21.10.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 21.10.38.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 42
That photo looks fine- it could be a mix of krausen, unconverted starch, etc.

Did you take a gravity reading? If it tastes fine, it seems like it is likely fine. How long has this krausen been there?

Its been near a week , I noticed those big bubbles just today. Was planning to take gravity on days 9,10 and 11 to see if I can bottle. OG turned to be around 1.54.

Ill taste a bit tomorrow and take a reading.

looks fine. It's hard to tell with the lighting, but beer can do all kinds of weird things.

Whenever I've worried, my rule is to taste it. If I'm not sure if it's infected, then it's fine to drink. Either you will really, really taste the infection, or, it's minor and no worry.

And yes, check the gravity. If it's still bubbling like that, I wouldn't think it's done but who knows, beer is tricksy.

Both photos it looks fine to me, looked like normal krausen in the first one and the second looks like CO2 bubbling up under the layer of krausen.

Back