First high gravity brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctforte

Reaction score
Hey new to HBT and was looking for some advice. Making a belgian pumpkin tripple and im trying to find the best time to rack into secondary. I waited about 3 weeks in primary which was yesterday and I thought I was ready to rack but when I opened the lid there was a thick later of damp crust. I thought all the kruasen would have sank by now. And this doesn't look like krausen either. So my question is should I wait longer to rack or rack with the layer still on top?
Thanks in advance Chris

Welcome to HBT!

I've never made either a pumpkin ale or a Tripel, so I can't answer you very well. But I think you'll find better traffic, and more responses, if you post this question in a different sub-forum.

Either "Beginners", "General Techniques", or "Recipes/Ingredients" have good chances of getting you the info you want.

Good luck!

If you want to go the route of a secondary, the answer is always the same: When it is done fermenting. That doesn't mean when it's stopped, because sometimes the yeast stall out, it's when it is DONE. For more beers, fermentation is done in less than a week. You cannot and will not know if it's done without using your hydrometer.

bknife is correct especially about the hydrometer. To add, no two krausen look the same and sometimes you will get krausen that refuses to fall for a LONG time. I have had it happen twice with S-05 yeast. Consult your hydrometer to know if it is a good time to rack.

Latest posts

Back