First high gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsccorpio227

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to homebrewing. This is my fifth batch but first high gravity batch. My initial gravity was 1.065 after a week it is 1.022 but it still bubbling steady every minute or so. I did yeast starter. What can I do to bring gravity down? It should be 7-8% ABV final. Can it still get there? TIA.

As long as there is still visible activity, the best tool in your bag is patience. You are at about 66% attenuation right now after one week. What kind of yeast did you use, what was your mash temp, and what is your fermentation temp? Those variables will help determine how much more you can expect to get.

Definitely give it a little more time, and like JPDosey and McKnuckle mentioned, maybe even warm it up a bit. Saison yeasts tend to take a little longer to do their thing, and generally favor warmer temps. I've made some great beers with that yeast strain, but patience has been my friend.

Agree with everyone else, give it more time, particularly if there still seems to be some active fermentation happening. I'd bet that it will have dropped lower the next time you check it. But if in a week, your gravity hasn't moved down at all, you can consider options at that point.

If it really is stuck, there are lots of good threads on here about dealing with a stuck fermentation. One way to go is to build a new starter and pitch it at high krausen.

Back