First hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciencePig

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post and my first hefeweizen brew.

I have made beer in the past but a total of 5 brews total so I am still a new brewer. I just bought the following from my local HB supplier:
  • Wheat Malt Extract - 7lbs
  • German Hallertau hops 2oz(4.4% AAU)
  • American Hefeweizen Ale (yeast)

But I have no instructions really on how to brew this batch. I am guessing the following, and please correct whatever is wrong or add whatever is missing.

1. Bring 3 gallon water to boil
  2. when water reaches 160 degrees F add malt extract
  3. bring to rolling boil for 60 minutes
  4. add 1oz hops for 60 minutes
  5. add remaining 1oz hops for last 15 minutes

Do I remove the spent hops from the first 60 or leave them in? Do I boil for only the 60 minutes or longer? Thanks, oh plus I have the malt now but I wont be making the beer until this weekend or I might wait until the last weekend of August. If I wait until August how should I store the malt? Usually I have it and brew that day or wait for a day or two and just leave it in my kitchen. thanks!

Sounds good. If you want to try to keep the beer lighter in color, and a pound or two of the malt extract at first then add the rest at 15 minutes. Take it off the burner to keep it from scorching the bottom of the pan. This may help lighten the color a bit, as wheats made from extracts usually end up darker than one might like.

Make sure your yeast and hops are refrigerated if you don't brew right away.

Leave the 60 min hops in when you add the 15 min hops. Chill, siphon or pour through a strainer to separate out the spent hops, then top up to 5 gal of water and aerate the wort once you pitch your yeast. If you choose to add some of the syrup later, stop your timer and restart it once it comes back to a boil.

Thanks. So temp and time are good. I'm confused on what you mean by add some syrup later. Do you mean add some at first then add the rest after 15 minutes and restart the timer to 60 again? More importantly how long should this one ferment? Does it require secondary fermentation? sorry for so many questions as the title reads first hefe and I want to avoid destroying it.

thanks.

SciencePig said:
Thanks. So temp and time are good. I'm confused on what you mean by add some syrup later. Do you mean add some at first then add the rest after 15 minutes and restart the timer to 60 again? More importantly how long should this one ferment? Does it require secondary fermentation? sorry for so many questions as the title reads first hefe and I want to avoid destroying it.

thanks.

No problem.
Get your water nice and hot. Take it off the burner and add some, maybe 1/2 of your syrup. When that comes to a boil start your timer (60 min) and add your first oz of hops. Boil for 45 min, with 15 min left, pause the timer and take the pot off the stove. Add the rest of the syrup. Return to a boil and then continue timing the 15 min left, add your 2nd oz of hops at that time. You can certainly add all of your syrup at the beginning of the boil, I've just heard many times that the "late addition" of the syrup is better for the end product.

Do you have a hydrometer to check gravity readings? That will tell you how long to ferment. With my hefes I generally ferment for 7-10 days. My first batch I moved to secondary after 6 days, but now I let it ferment 10-14 days and bottle directly. Just be careful when siphoning over to the bottling bucket not get any of the trub/sludge in the bottom. You should expect a finishing gravity of 1.007-1.013. Once it stays at that gravity for a few days without change then bottle it up.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. So I am concerned as I didn't have any hop bags and I just dropped them in to the boil I noticed on the sample (my hydrometer reading) a lot of hop sediment in the bottom. I know during fermentation it will settle at the bottom and siphoning will help some but should I be concerned about the amount of hop sediment?

I mean there was really a lot. I could notice it gave a spice note to the beer that complimented the sweet taste but all in all it may have been too much spice. It was over powering. I need some tips on filtering the rest out if possible. I again think that I might just have to wait and siphon the fermented to the bottle bucket and go from there.

SciencePig said:
Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. So I am concerned as I didn't have any hop bags and I just dropped them in to the boil I noticed on the sample (my hydrometer reading) a lot of hop sediment in the bottom. I know during fermentation it will settle at the bottom and siphoning will help some but should I be concerned about the amount of hop sediment?

I mean there was really a lot. I could notice it gave a spice note to the beer that complimented the sweet taste but all in all it may have been too much spice. It was over powering. I need some tips on filtering the rest out if possible. I again think that I might just have to wait and siphon the fermented to the bottle bucket and go from there.

Well, if it's already in the fermenter than there is not much to be done right now. No point in disrupting it and risk contamination for something so minor. In the future you can always use a fine mesh strainer when transferring to the fermenter. I personally don't use hop bags at all. I try to be careful siphoning. If that doesn't work I just make sure to let it settle well after it's done for a day or two to let the trub compact.

As for the taste, if the sample was right after transferring, then know that it will mellow out and the esters and phenols from the hefe yeast will take over a bit. Give it time to do it's thing.

Well so far so good. Since I live in TX and it is outrageously got we can't keep it cool enough in the spare room. The brew has been consistent at 77 degrees.

I have read and I don't remember for sure but don't higher temps cause more of a fruity flavor or sweet flavor depending in the yeast?

I just did my second hefeweizen with wyeast 3068 and I got a whole lot more banana at 63 than I did on the first batch that was at 68.

with a hefe (1 of my favorite styles ), lower temps = banana, higher = cloves. i ferment mine at 68 to provide a balance.

Sorry for my delay everyone. I love my hefe. A little over carbonated but it still good. It didn't blow up or ruin. IT has a great banana flavor and spice note. Smooth finish and a little bitter some people said 6 out of 5 people like it so I will take that.

Back