First go without using a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristolcity

Reaction score
Ok I've had ago at making a white wine with out using a kit and just shop brought ingredients
I've used
3 litres of water
5 litres of white grape juice
7 litres of pear juice
7 litres of apple juice
1.4kg white sugar
White wine yeast
Yeast nutrient
My og is 1064
Can anyone see any issues with this or am I on track to a nice finished product

All of those juices are very light, you are going to need to add something to get more flavor. Also, I'd get the SG up a bit closer to 1.080 to start.

Thank you doc it's been 33 hours so far and no sighns of fermentation will be more patient

My must temperature is at 16o so according to the info on the attached image for white wine it should ferment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410254323.942919.jpg

No bubbles in the airlock doc I'm at work ATM will check when I get back wich would be around the 57 hour mark since yeast was pitched

My must temperature is at 16o so according to the info on the attached image for white wine it should ferment View attachment 222900

That is their recommended temperature. You really need to look at the info on the specific strain you pitched for its preferred temperature. I wouldn't worry though fermentation can take upto 72hrs before you see visible signs. And airlock activity is not correlative to fermentation. You might have a leak which would cause no bubbles. Conversely you could have atmospheric pressure changes cause bubbling with no fermentation. I'd give it 72hrs then check your gravity with a hydrometer and see if your SG has changed from your OG.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Thank you I have active bubbling now :) quick question if I want to stop fermentation before it hits 1000 ie so the wines not compleatly dry do I use campden tablets for that 1 per gallon

Thank you I have active bubbling now :) quick question if I want to stop fermentation before it hits 1000 ie so the wines not compleatly dry do I use campden tablets for that 1 per gallon

No. It's almost impossible to stop an active fermentation, but if you really want to you'll need more than campden tablets. You'd have to chill the wine to drop out most of the yeast and get it to go dormant, and then rack to a new vessel off of the yeast and add campden tablets and sorbate or benzoate. Sometimes this works, but other times it produces bad off flavors from the stressed yeast.

It's much easier, as well as more dependable with no off flavors, to let the wine finish and clear, rack to the new vessel with campden and sorbate, and then sweeten to taste.

Back