First Go At Water Chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a hazy/juicy NEIPA this weekend and decided it was time to learn about my water chemistry.

For starters I'm going to use distilled water so I can begin with a "clean slate" so to speak.

My grain bill for a 5 gallon batch consists of 5lbs of Pilsner malt, 5lbs of Maris Otter, and 3lbs of flaked oats.

Besides one light hop addition early in the boil, all will be added in whirlpool and mostly dry hop.

I've been reading and reading about water profiles for this type of beer and it appears to be quite controversial or perhaps dependent on what one likes when finished.

So for my first go I've decided on the following target profile. Please, please tell me if this is an okay start, if something is jacked up, or your opinion.

Calcium: 50ppm
Magnesium: 10ppm
Sodium: 10ppm
Sulfate: 75ppm
Chloride: 150ppm
Bicarbonate: 0ppm

Beersmith has me adding only salt, epsom salt, and calcium chloride in the amounts it calculated for both mash and sparge.

Any information for peace of mind is MUCH appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
My last NEIPA was a 2:1 like yours and turned out great. Only thing I'd recommend is bumping your Calcium closer to 100 ppm but thats my personal preference.

Simplify your life and skip the magnesium.

Malt adds more than enough magnesium and you definitely don't need to increase it.

Otherwise, looks fine to me. Cheers.

Beersmith doesn't have me adding anything for the magnesium at that target.
??
Distilled water does not have 10ppm magnesium. You're not adding epsom salt, just gypsum, calcium chloride, and table salt?

Epsom salt is the source of magnesium (magnesium sulfate). You don't need it.

You have full control now. Tap water chemistry can vary depending on time of year. I can't say personally how much impact water chemistry has on taste, but I know what my water makeup and PH is for every brew, I keep careful notes, and hopefully all this information will help me make better beer in the future.

Back