First go at fermented garlic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to try a lacto fermented garlic. I added a few garlic chives just for kicks and giggles. Super simple! water, salt a dash of raw apple cider vinegar. My grandmother gave me a bag of garlic didn't want it to go bad. So here we go!
IMG_20210901_182120586.jpg

I am on a vinegar forum and saw someone had made garlic wine then turned that into a balsamic type vinegar. Looked really good.

i thought botulism liked garlic? never heard of fermenting garlic on purpose?
no expert, but I think that if there is sufficient acidity in the fermentation (and lactic acid can produce enough so vinegar is not necessary) then you kill any botulism. But all vegetables can harbor that bacterium. You just allow them to grow through poor food handling (low acidity and oxygen).

i thought botulism liked garlic? never heard of fermenting garlic on purpose?
Well... Sort of. But garlic has such high antiseptic qualities and because I'm fermenting it in a zero oxygen and incredibly high acidic environment using lactic acid. Botulism has absolutely no chance. Yeah people ferment garlic all the time. It's a great way to preserve your garlic for long-term use.

Cheers
Jay

Looks similar to the way my Dad made pickles back in the day, but no airlock. He would let the pickles build up carbonation, the first came out fizzy when opening the jar. He would always put garlic cloves, dill weed pickling spice, salt and a couple slices carrots and green pepper pieces along with the pickles.

Attachments

• 241AC4BD-3791-4100-80F3-3D5BBEFA7DB7.jpeg
    241AC4BD-3791-4100-80F3-3D5BBEFA7DB7.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 12
I haven't done a lacto-fermented garlic this way. I've done garlic fermented in honey a few times and it was a real treat.

So... I'm 21 days into my lacto fermented garlic. Now what? How do I keep it? I ate 1 just now. Not sure what I expected. Tastes like garlic. Just without the garlic "heat" I guess.
I just want to know a few things.
1. How should I keep this?
2. How long will it last?
3. What can I do with it?
4. What should it taste like?

Next up Korean pickled garlic. :) Wish me luck!

Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Jay

You could pack them in smaller jars, top off with brine then put brine in smaller container and store in fridge. I use my brine in vinaigrette recipes,drizzle over rice and in BBQ ,ect.

Back