First Foray into winemaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thood6

Reaction score
So the title says most of it. Besides Edwort's apfelwein, I am about to start my first wine kit ever and want to avoid any common mistakes and want to get y'all's opinion on the kit I bought.
I got the Selection LE 2013 Chocolate Raspberry Port from Austin Homebrew. I get all of my beermaking stuff from them and thought it looked like a quality product.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_453_414&products_id=11173

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Man I love good port. :tank:

Believe it or not, following the instructions is the best course in almost all cases of quality wine kits. If you follow the instructions exactly, it will come out perfectly!

I guess beer kits just have traumatized me. Their directions certainly leave something to be desired. Is the Kit i purchased a quality kit?

I guess beer kits just have traumatized me. Their directions certainly leave something to be desired. Is the Kit i purchased a quality kit?

Yes, it's considered a very nice kit. I haven't actually tried that one, as I despise chocolate but I've done some others from that company with great results.

That kit is delicious. All the Selection LE kits are great. Very easy to make. As stated above, just follow the directions and you'll do just fine. You'll be shocked at how quick and easy making those kits can be.

Thanks guys. I'll try to remember to update how it comes out. This forum still rocks years after joining.

Gitmoe said:
That kit is delicious. All the Selection LE kits are great. Very easy to make. As stated above, just follow the directions and you'll do just fine. You'll be shocked at how quick and easy making those kits can be.

Originally Posted by karbarkhan
Hi I made some white wine and finally I added kwik clear for fining the wine but when I did this unfortunately my wine is very cloudy and hazy now what can I do now for fixing this problem?

Originally Posted by karbarkhan
Hi I made some white wine and finally I added kwik clear for fining the wine but when I did this unfortunately my wine is very cloudy and hazy now what can I do now for fixing this problem?

Let it sit. Gravity will clear it. Or, if you're the impatient type, get some gelatin finings or Super-Kleer.

thood6 We made that kit 3 years ago, The next year we made the Dark Chocolate Orange, last year it was the toasted Carmel. And then a few weeks ago we did the Black Forest (dark chocolate and cherry).
They all came our wonderful and if you follow the directions you will not have a problem.

One thing I will say they need to age in the bottle at least 6 months to smooth out. We still have a dozen bottles of the Chocolate Raspberry that we save for special occasions.

WE wants you to drink them too soon so you can start another kit....

Back