First Eye Opening Brew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdragon82

Reaction score
I have brewed maybe 6 all-grain batches and each one I learn something new and figure out a new way to make things better. There were some bad ones too and I drank em all:confused: . I have also limited myself to only buying 1 item towards brewing each month. Nothing huge like kegs but like a stirplate, next month is a grain mill. stuff like that.

Anyways to the topic at hand. I have two parts to this. I graduate from PSU with my S/W engineering degree in three weeks. A couple weeks ago I decided I want one of my brews at the graduation party (the fire hall is supplying a decent local lager and one of the BMC). So I decided to take another stab at a triple I made at the beginning of summer. Used Wyeast Belgian Schelde just because I wanted to try a new one. The first day or two showed no sign of fermentation I was getting nervous, but then day 3 my 6.5gal carboy was filled with krausen. (two weeks later) I taste a sample yesterday and holy crap!!:rockin: It was the best ever!! My GF and I were drinking a glass warm and uncarbed but man it was delicious!! Now that I can see the true awesomeness that I made I want to brew non-stop:D.

Now for part 2 of this. The triple had an OG of 1.095. I was expecting between 1.085 and 1.090 but oh well I'll take it. It is currently at 1.020. Little high for a triple but the OG was high so I'll take it. My question for the forum is that I am having doubts now about serving 5gals of this stuff at my grad party. What do you think should I or shouldn't I?

I would serve it, but you could try to serve it in smaller glasses (7-10oz) instead of 16-20oz pints to save people from getting smashed off of 1-2 drinks

Yeah I just don't want people face planting in a fire hall with family around. I think I will just put a disclaimer in front of it. haha. I am very proud of this drink and would love to show it off.

Sorry, Well the percentage is around 9.8%. Sorry listed the gravities but not the percentage. The color is a little darker than style but I really don't care about that too much.

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 8/4/2010
Style: Belgian Tripel
Brewer: Bill
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Assistant Brewer: Kris
Boil Volume: 7.37 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 % Equipment: 70 Qt Igloo + 7.5 Gal pot
Actual Efficiency: 74.3 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.6 %
12.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.7 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 18.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 11.1 %
Wyeast Belgain Schelde (3 liter starter)

I don't know if college kids are going to appreciate a tripel... no harm in being proud of your creation and sharing some, but maybe save a little behind for yourself.

And from my experience in college, telling people to "go easy on this because it's high alcohol" just made the drink in question disappear faster.

I should have added this. I am 28 and most friends love a good craft and the others know what it is if they are BMC drinkers. I had to work my way through college, so spent the first while just doing part-time at the local Community College. Family didn't have much money and I had two sisters already in college.

I don't know if college kids are going to appreciate a tripel... no harm in being proud of your creation and sharing some, but maybe save a little behind for yourself.

And from my experience in college, telling people to "go easy on this because it's high alcohol" just made the drink in question disappear faster.

They might appreciate it if they know he's a craft brewer...and yes you tell them "hey be careful this has alot of zip to it" its gonna get kicked fast LOL

If you think five gallons is too much alcohol for the number of guests you'll have, then don't serve five gallons. Save off a gallon or two, or whatever you think appropriate, before the party. You can tell everyone that you're especially proud of this batch (which is true) and you want everyone to get a chance to try it (which is also true). There's no law that says you have to give away everything you have.

Back