First ever stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunxter

Reaction score
So i did 10g batch of my version blue moon pitched 1/2 pack dry us 05 (god why did i do that) threw in fermentation chamber 3 weeks activity was stopped so instead of taking a reading first, i filled my first keg, then remembered a hydro sample, sincecit was cold crashes i let sample sit while i filled other keg. Then found it at 1020 . **** i was hoping it would drop as temp rode since it was at 36 degrees. It did not very much. So i threw rest of pack into kegs . Fingers crossed. One is producing co 2 i think one doesnt seem to be yet. Prayers needed. As a side note the sample was pretty good even at 1020. Any recomendations?

Actually now that i think about it - i missed my mash temp by 7 or 8 degrees and had to add some boiling water- i think two or three kettles full ran out of room decided to sparge acouple gallons throw in kettle heat it up add to tun and repeated. Hmm maybe i went too high temp in kettle and it effected the fermetability of some of the sugars? Damn i hope thats not what happened.

Wonder if i pitch a lager yeast and throw into ferm chamber at 50 or whatever will it take my gravity down even with the burnt fermentables?

I don't know if you have a mash temperature issue or a yeast issue. Maybe the extra yeast will help - no idea whether lager yeast would help. But I've had some fermentations stop at around 1.020, and they were still good beers - just not what I was trying for.

Back