First Ever Cider Brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMammoth

Reaction score
How much yeast will I need for cider? (just juice from the supermarket.. need too see whether I can get into homebrewing before i buy a press!)

What type also?

I think any brewing yeast should work. I'm using a San Fran lager yeast on a cider right now. You can use a dry yeast like us-04 or 05 or Nottingham yeast ( supposedly a really good yeast to use for cider never used it myself though). With dry yeast you can just rehydrate and toss in. Make sure you use a yeast nutrient like raisins or the powder yeast nutrient sold at home brew shops.

I think any brewing yeast should work. I'm using a San Fran lager yeast on a cider right now. You can use a dry yeast like us-04 or 05 or Nottingham yeast ( supposedly a really good yeast to use for cider never used it myself though). With dry yeast you can just rehydrate and toss in. Make sure you use a yeast nutrient like raisins or the powder yeast nutrient sold at home brew shops.

Thanks for the advice. How much though?l

Use either the whole packet of dry yeast or make a starter with half a gallon of apple juice and let it ferment through (usually about 4 or 5 days) then just toss it in with the rest

If you want to know exactly how much yeast you need take the OG and use yeastcalc or mrmalty

Back