First Ever Brew.. Very slow fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopHatCat

Reaction score
Howdy guys,
So first time posting here (apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum, couldn't find a troubleshooting section).

Today I started on my first ever Brew, a 10L starter kit.. And, well.. It feels like everything has gone wrong. But I can't quite decide what!

I started earlier this morning, using 4L of store bought apple juice and a packet of wine yeast (as what came with the starter kit & suggested to me). But, after about 5hours I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for or if this is common.

My little yeasties DO seem to be going, as there is a tiny amount of foam on the surface of my juice.. Buuut it doesn't seem to be bubbling through my bubbler AT ALL, just slightly displacing the water.
I know for certain that the bucket is air-tight as gently pressing on the lid forces the water through the bubbler and nowhere else. So there's pressure inside. But it just feels like my yeast isn't up to the task.

This could be for afew reasons.. I was in abit of a hurry this morning so forgive me, but;
* The juice may have been abit too warm, I had boiled some cinnamon in 1L of apple juice and left it to cool for an hour, it was just above body temperature (as it felt lukewarm to the touch), but was still steaming alittle. So, as I was in a rush I added it to the bucket and diluted it with the remaining 3L's of juice (to which it didn't feel warm at all).
* I may have added too much sugar to the mix, I wanted to add alittle brown sugar just for flavor.. (totally disregarding the instructions saying the juice has enough x~x), so added half a teacup, it didn't seem like much when I consider it's going to be diluted in 10L's eventually, but at this early stage It may have been a mistake.
* I may mixed the yeast in alittle too... vigorously, I tried folding it in to gently wetten it, but I feel I may have over-did it slightly, again I'm just a bag of nerves so I may be over-exaggerating it but still a possibility.
* It may be alittle too cold in my garage. Though I do have it wrapped up in a towel to keep it warm for these first 8hours or so, as per the instructions I got, but nothing under it.. It certainly doesn't feel cold however.
* Or the yeast could simply not have started fermenting on a large scale yet, as, from reading here it can see it could take anything from 1hr to 3days? How many bubbles should be popping through your bubbler at this stage? As from what I read it sounds quite common, but I have yet to witness any at all (watched for about 1minute or so).

^ So yeah, over-all it could be for any kind of reason, but that's why I'm here to ask for help and advice as, with no experience I have no idea whats going on or even HOW it should be reacting at this stage!

Thank you all for reading this and thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Dont worry about it...put it in a closet and forget about for a week.

Ah that's some good news :) So what should I be looking out for? How will I know if it's gotten back on track or, lord forbid, I have to scrap it and start anew?

Also: Should I add the remaining apple juice to it (as per the instructions), or wait and see what happens?
(Since making this thread, it has gotten abit more of a foam layer ontop now, but barely even afew mm still... but it IS doing something atleast).

Cider doesn't show as much visible signs of fermentation like wort does. Only real way to tell is gravity readings.

First time cider making here too.

I left mine to ferment for two weeks and I barely seen any bubbles the whole time. After I siphon off and let the particles settle. I prime and bottled them. I'm gonna stop the carbn. tomorrow by cold crashing them yeasties.

I prime them in 4 ways. Cane sugar, raw sugar, honey, Cane sugar+lemon squeeze.

Well fantastic news! We seem to be all good and up and running now!

My little yeasties are bubbling every 7 seconds or so, Just seems they were alittle sleepy :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Cider can take some time to get off the ground and it causes panic and you wanna just chuck anything in there to get it off the ground. Then the two days later it sounds like a freight train coming through the house.

I think you need to do a little basic research here because youre trying to accomplish things that cant happen. Adding brown sugar for flavor in primary fermentation? The yeast are just gonna eat it up and youll get more booze.

Cinnamon wouldve better been added prior to bulk aging. If its sitting on a cold floor it will suck the temp down, like making a lager, not that its a bad thing. That bubbler thing is called an airlock.

Slow down, because this is a game of patience. I know you want a full keg of hard cider ready to drink yesterday but thats not reality.

Adding brown sugar for flavor in primary fermentation? The yeast are just gonna eat it up and youll get more booze.
Certainly don't mind that! That was indeed the ulterior motive.

Cinnamon wouldve better been added prior to bulk aging.
I see, how would you go about that? :)

If its sitting on a cold floor it will suck the temp down, like making a lager, not that its a bad thing.
Then I shall fix this immediately!... If I need too?

That bubbler thing is called an airlock.
I thought so... But whenever I saw images of the "airlocks" online they were wide rather robust tubes.

Slow down, because this is a game of patience. I know you want a full keg of hard cider ready to drink yesterday but thats not reality.
I entirely understand that :) Obviously this was just my first time and I was alittle panicked when it didn't go exactly as the Starter Kit Instructions described hehe :p
I'm still learning and researching into Brewing as I am completely fresh into it. This thread has certainly helped a great deal and I've picked up bits and bobs online.. But yeah, It's mostly experience I imagine.
If you know of any good resources to read that'll teach a person all the basics and good facts etc I'd happily give it a read through! :)

Thank you very much for helping out, I really appreciate it!

Adding your cin at bulk aging wouldve been done just as said. Usually whole sticks, drop em right in the carboy, this is going to be after a few rackings.

If the garage floor is cool, id let it alone as long as youre not under 65. Get yourself a stick on thermometer.

Do some looking around the forum, do some looking around http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ and some reading. Maybe even get yourself a catalog to read while poopn.

Learn the termonogly and then start plugging it into google. If you want to read personal opinions versus articles you just need to change how you search a tad.

Example using google

Search: Secondary Wine Fermentation , youll get articles on the subject

Search: Secondary Wine Fermentation, homebrewtalk.com

and youll get only results from this site, you can replace homebrewtalk with things like forum to get a wider range of forum discussion on it.

good start here

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/glossary.asp

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Youll see a lot of reference to Jack Keller.

Adding your cin at bulk aging wouldve been done just as said. Usually whole sticks, drop em right in the carboy, this is going to be after a few rackings.

If the garage floor is cool, id let it alone as long as youre not under 65. Get yourself a stick on thermometer.

Do some looking around the forum, do some looking around http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ and some reading. Maybe even get yourself a catalog to read while poopn.

Absolutely fantastic, thank you very much!

For the past few days and at this very moment i'm sipping on my Sparkling cider, taste horrible a month ago and its all yummy and potent now. I just don'[t know what the ABV is without a hydrometer:(

Latest posts

Back