First draft off tap. Need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Well I got the beer flowing for the first time tonight. It is an Irish red brewed a little more than a 5 weeks ago. Got the CO2 and put it in the kegs at 12 psi. Yesterday I got the conversion done and per some posts here bumped the CO2 up to 30 for 24 hours. Dropped it to 12 today and cleared pressure in the keg.

Poured a glass and got a nice head. The head was similar to the head on Boddington,very creamy. Taste was kind of malty. Wondering if I took it off the yeast early. Was 1 week on the yeast.

Advice here, will it just readjust by the weekend? I lowered it to 10. What should I do here?

i dont think you did anything wrong, just drink and enjoy.... one thing that helps is to have at least 6 feet of tap line for the fluid to come out of.... you may have taken it off the yeast a bit early maybe next time wait like 10 to 14 days... i normally wait 3 to 4 weeks..... hope this helps a bit

Now that I have the pressure down in the 11 range, should I periodically "burp" the keg to let some of the excess that might come off as the excess CO2 comes out of solution? Or should I just leave it as is?

Well I got the beer flowing for the first time tonight. It is an Irish red brewed a little more than a 5 weeks ago. Got the CO2 and put it in the kegs at 12 psi. Yesterday I got the conversion done and per some posts here bumped the CO2 up to 30 for 24 hours. Dropped it to 12 today and cleared pressure in the keg.

Poured a glass and got a nice head. The head was similar to the head on Boddington,very creamy. Taste was kind of malty. Wondering if I took it off the yeast early. Was 1 week on the yeast.

Advice here, will it just readjust by the weekend? I lowered it to 10. What should I do here?

Sorry, but what exactly is the problem. Everything looks fine, are you saying you are getting too much foam?

you'll probably want to burp it a few times since it was at 30 but you could just wait and see. If your pours started coming out too foamy burp it, if not don't.

Sorry, but what exactly is the problem. Everything looks fine, are you saying you are getting too much foam?

The foam is not the traditional style on something like an Irish Red. It is closer to the foam on a Boddingtons, very creamy. Thinking this is a result of a little too long at 30 psi. I was very patient until the tower was installed and having that first draft was an option. Had planned on using the set and forget method at about 12 psi.

Well the creaminess of the head won't have a lot to do with having too much dissolved CO2 it usually has more to do with the ingredients within the beer. If your getting too much foam then you need to lower your volumes but if your just getting a nice creamy head I'd say your fine. Don't worry too much it sounds like your doing it right, I tend to put my beers on 8-10 psi so you may want to lower your pressure a bit if your having problems.

Nice stuff there guys, I think in a few days it will be fine. It was just closer to the Guinness style and I guess that was just a little too much carb. Will give it another shot at weeks end.

Back