First day without yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of IPA last night, and did not chill it to my liking before pitching yeast. Therefore, I waited until today (less than 24-hours) to pitch when the temp was more suited.

Today, when I opened the lid to the batch, I see that there is a layer of beer colored sludge on top. It looks like grain/froth, but not necessarily like krausen. It is not discolored nor it is chunky-- just a solid, somewhat thick layer of top-sludge with VERY tiny bubbles in the layer.

Keep in mind that I am still a rookie, and never have seen what beer looks like without yeast. I am just afraid that it might be an infection, or wild yeast.

I suppose if it is wild-I can only hope for a nice flavor!!! I went ahead and pitched the yeast, and sealed it up.

Any predictions?

Pratzie said:
At least a midget didn't pop out when u opened it up, so i think ur good.

Good call! I once did this with a porter. Wild yeast took hold (along with some sort of bug) and went to town. I let it sit for about ten months (long story) and then tasted it. Tasted like a sour porter. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't palatable. Not to mention I couldn't get past the smell. That was the worst part. The first batch I ever dumped...but it was beer.

I do this when I brew lagers. I can't get the wort down to fermentation temperature with my chiller, so I seal up the fermenter and let it sit in the chest freezer over night and pitch in the morning. It works well. Never had a layer of froth or what have you on top though.

I also will use the ferm chamber to drop wort to pitching temps. Never had foam on the top at pitching time. Next time be sure to sanitize the inside of the lid (including the recess around the rim) and put on an airlock.

Just an update: I did sanitize the lid well (crevise too!), and put an airlock on. The only thing I can think is that it might have caught an airborne yeast when I transferred from BK to fermenter.

It looks like a layer of peanut butter on top (Shiny krausen) and has a bunch of small air bubbles. As stated I did pitch yeast, so I am sure that the yeast is busy working too.. but just looks much different than ANY batch I have done thus far.

The fruity smell may be the hops I used (Nelson Sauvin) which is known for a grape like aroma.

I figure I will let it rip for 5-days, take a gravity reading, taste and see if I am making vinegar or beer. I suspect, vinegar- unfortunately.

Here is a photo today-- again, could be healthy krausen but I have just not seen this before, and the surface scum before pitching yeast as well as the VERY fruity smell is giving the concern.
12IrI.jpeg

Back