First crack at an IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJjtown

Reaction score
Hi there, I am around 4 months into home brewing and I was getting ready to try my first IPA using my own recipe. It is a one gallon batch using biab method.
Here is what I have:
29 ounces of Rahr 2 row
8 ounces Vienna malt
8 ounces caramel 40l
1/2 ounce carapils

Hops: Amarillo 6 grams @45 min
Cascade 6 grams @15 min and 6 grams @5 min. 1/4 whirlfloc tablet at 5 min
Amarillo 6 grams at flame out 10 min hop stand
Casacade 8 grams dry hop

Yeast: @4 grams US-05

Just checking if this all looks fairly reasonable and hoping nothing looks way off to the more experienced brewers. Thanks!

Did you run this through recipe software (for example, Brewers Friend) to see how it compares to IPA style guidelines?

On a percentage basis, I'm seeing roughly 65% base malt, 15% Vienna & 15% crystal. For a first attempt at an IPA, I would anticipate those percentages to be closer to 90% base malt, 10% Vienna or Crystal.

My estimated OG is around 80 which is in the double-IPA range (nothing wrong with that). I would suggest double-checking the IBU estimates to make sure that there's enough bitterness to balance out the higher OG.

4 g US-05 looks OK to me

That seems like a lot of crystal to me. I use 1# in my IPA (5g batch). I personally would use the cascade as the bittering hop. Imo its more of a dual hop then Amarillo. Amarillo is one of my favorite hops and its wonderful later in the process.

My grainbill breakdown is roughly
78% 2row
18% Munich
4% crystal

Did you run this through recipe software (for example, Brewers Friend) to see how it compares to IPA style guidelines?

On a percentage basis, I'm seeing roughly 65% base malt, 15% Vienna & 15% crystal. For a first attempt at an IPA, I would anticipate those percentages to be closer to 90% base malt, 10% Vienna or Crystal.

My estimated OG is around 80 which is in the double-IPA range (nothing wrong with that). I would suggest double-checking the IBU estimates to make sure that there's enough bitterness to balance out the higher OG.

4 g US-05 looks OK to me
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

That seems like a lot of crystal to me. I use 1# in my IPA (5g batch). I personally would use the cascade as the bittering hop. Imo its more of a dual hop then Amarillo. Amarillo is one of my favorite hops and its wonderful later in the process.

My grainbill breakdown is roughly
78% 2row
18% Munich
4% crystal
Thanks for the advice. I probably will tweak the grain numbers a little and maybe work the hops differently too.

Back