First competition results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandstoneCityBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got the score sheets from my very first homebrew competition. I entered a Saison into the Amber Waves of Grain event in NY.

I didn't win any awards, but I scored a 31. It did get advanced to a mini best of show round according to the cover sheet, so that makes me pretty happy :ban:

I am very pleased with the feedback I received. It was nice getting real feedback from BJCP judges. I plan on sending a lot more of my homebrews to competitions. I will take all the feedback and use it to help me get better.

31 is a solid beer, good job!

I got third place for stout in the first competition I entered, but the feedback wasn't useful in terms of what could be improved upon. Basically it was descriptions of general (to style) traits I was already aware of, no critique, some compliments, and some contradictions between judges. I'm glad the judges enjoyed it, but at the end I felt like I just lost out on a couple of bottles of awesome beer for no good reason. Don't know if I'm going to repeat that.

I just got the score sheets from my very first homebrew competition. I entered a Saison into the Amber Waves of Grain event in NY.

I didn't win any awards, but I scored a 31. It did get advanced to a mini best of show round according to the cover sheet, so that makes me pretty happy :ban:

I am very pleased with the feedback I received. It was nice getting real feedback from BJCP judges. I plan on sending a lot more of my homebrews to competitions. I will take all the feedback and use it to help me get better.

Nice job; 31 is a Saison anyone would enjoy! Glad you received some useful feedback. Beer judging is an extremely time-consuming job and we are fortunate to have great people who are willing to do this and a meaningful way to get people certified.

Not to horn in on your thread but I won a 20g Blichmann kettle in a competition this weekend--pretty pumped!

Back