first cider using red star yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsidebrewingco

Reaction score
All,

I decided to give making a sparkling cider a try now I need some advice / help!

Both ciders are 1 gallon batches with some minor changes just to experiment.
#1 is as follows: 3 cans 100% apple juice frozen concentrate, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, red star baking yeast, top off with spring water. OG 1.055 is what i got. 4 days into it fermentation is still very active and a yeasty bread smell.

Batch #2: 1 gallon 100% pure apple juice, red star champagne yeast OG 1.050 also 4 days of fermentation mild alcoholic smell coming from it.

Questions! I would like to let it ferment out for about two weeks then bottle. I don't mind a cloudy cider so i did not plan on a secondary. When I bottle I wanted to use 1 oz of honey to carb the cider and 1/3 cup of splenda to sweeten it.

Can I do this without fear of bottle bombs as long as the initial fermentation is complete????? Any help or advice would be appreciated to allow me to make a drinkable semi sweet sparkling cider.

All,

I decided to give making a sparkling cider a try now I need some advice / help!

Both ciders are 1 gallon batches with some minor changes just to experiment.
#1 is as follows: 3 cans 100% apple juice frozen concentrate, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, red star baking yeast, top off with spring water. OG 1.055 is what i got. 4 days into it fermentation is still very active and a yeasty bread smell.

Batch #2: 1 gallon 100% pure apple juice, red star champagne yeast OG 1.050 also 4 days of fermentation mild alcoholic smell coming from it.

Questions! I would like to let it ferment out for about two weeks then bottle. I don't mind a cloudy cider so i did not plan on a secondary. When I bottle I wanted to use 1 oz of honey to carb the cider and 1/3 cup of splenda to sweeten it.

Can I do this without fear of bottle bombs as long as the initial fermentation is complete????? Any help or advice would be appreciated to allow me to make a drinkable semi sweet sparkling cider.

My one cent: You can probably get away without creating bottle bombs but I am not so sure that adding Splenda to cider to sweeten it will really enhance the flavor...

I have sweetened with Splenda and have been pleased with the results. I would hesitate to sweeten to the point of a sweet cider, but to add a hint f sweetness that I like it seems to work fine. I typically add 1 cup of splenda to 6 gallons of cider that has been fermented completely dry.

As a note, neither the significant other nor I are bothered by the taste of Splenda in soft drinks so we are probably more tolerant to the "artificial" or "chemical" tastes than some.

Latest posts

Back