First cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmaffy

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just bottled my first batch of beer last night, so of course I'm itching to start something else right away while I wait for it to carbonate. I've seen other similar threads about this subject on here, but I'd just like a little feedback on what I propose to do so I don't have any major catastrophes.

I saved a portion of the yeast cake from my beer (about 6 oz.). I plan on mixing that with 3 gallons of apple juice and 3 pounds of honey and racking it to a 5 gallon glass carboy. I'll ferment for 6 weeks (if I can stand to wait that long). My plan then is to add some pomegranate/blueberry juice concentrate as priming sugar and bottle.

Questions:
1. Is the amount of yeast appropriate for the amount of liquid I'm using?
2. Am I adding the juice concentrate at the right time? I'm not really concerned about a heavy fruit "flavor" as much as I'd just like to have the essence/aroma of the fruit come through. Will using the juice as priming sugar accomplish this? Or should I add the juice during fermentation?
3. Can I bottle in clear bottles, or is the cider sensitive to light like beer is?
4. What range should I expect for my OG? I know that I want my FG to be 1.000 or lower.
5. What kind of alcohol content can I expect?

Thanks!!

With the calculator on Gotmead.com, I calculated SG of 1.061, I assume will top fill with water to 5 GAL. What yeast are you using. 8.34 pct abv to 1.000; if u raise apple juice to 4.6 gall with 3 lb honey the SG would be 1.083 and 11.11 pct abv, and close to 5 gall.

1. Should be fine. 2. thats how most people add more fruity flavors. 3. Yes but keep it out of the light... It will be more flat like a wine, not skunky. 4. 1. 4 something for no sugar added. Some people like to go higher. I shoot for 1.06 usually. 5. 100% OG to alcohol, so be careful.

Thanks! I'm still a little unclear on a couple points, though.

Is it better to add the blueberry/pomegranate juice during fermentation or during bottling? I'm not after a really sweet cider, but I don't want it to be completely dry either. Should I add the flavored juice right away, and then just use priming sugar during bottling?

Thanks! I'm still a little unclear on a couple points, though.

Is it better to add the blueberry/pomegranate juice during fermentation or during bottling? I'm not after a really sweet cider, but I don't want it to be completely dry either. Should I add the flavored juice right away, and then just use priming sugar during bottling?

The juices are going to have fermentable sugars, so you need to account for them. Also, the honey, I will tell you from experience, is a slow fermenter and needs augmentation with some yeast nutrients. Be patient with honey. If you bottle, you need to be absolutely sure it has fermented out completely...

OK, so alternatively - could I mix the yeast, apple juice, blueberry/pomegranate juice and honey all at once, let it ferment out completely, and then back sweeten with this?

mio.jpg

OK, so alternatively - could I mix the yeast, apple juice, blueberry/pomegranate juice and honey all at once, let it ferment out completely, and then back sweeten with this?

I don't know what that is you are using, unfortunately can't research now. Look at the label, see if it has sugars, if it has sugars they will carb out. If you backsweeten, carb and bottle, you are getting into a fine tuning game that I have found hard to do. If you backsweeten, carb, and bottle, then you may need to look at the bottle pasteurization process (which I admit I haven't tried) to stop the fermentation before bottle bombs ensue while also preserving some sweetness...

I don't know what that is you are using, unfortunately can't research now. Look at the label, see if it has sugars, if it has sugars they will carb out. If you backsweeten, carb and bottle, you are getting into a fine tuning game that I have found hard to do. If you backsweeten, carb, and bottle, then you may need to look at the bottle pasteurization process (which I admit I haven't tried) to stop the fermentation before bottle bombs ensue while also preserving some sweetness...

Yes, this is a sugar-free product. I'm undecided about whether or not I want to attempt to carb or not. I think if after six weeks I'm happy with the taste, etc. - I may just bottle as is. If not, maybe I'll try to carb and stovetop pasteurize.

Either way, you've been a lot of help and given me much to think about - thanks!

Yes, this is a sugar-free product. I'm undecided about whether or not I want to attempt to carb or not. I think if after six weeks I'm happy with the taste, etc. - I may just bottle as is. If not, maybe I'll try to carb and stovetop pasteurize.

Either way, you've been a lot of help and given me much to think about - thanks!

Ok, if it's a sugar free, then you are in good shape. Just let the cyser ferment out completely, then add the sugar free sweetener to taste, and carb. I would recommend the Brewer's Friend Priming calculator, and personally I would not go higher than 2.5 carbs, Be sure to adjust for temperature at bottling. Also, I have tried carbing with apple juice concentrate, but I have had best results with dextrose. Good luck

On the fruit flavors, It depends on the flavor on when to add it. I've only added a blueberry pomegranate to the original, and to bottle carb it, So I don't have a good answer to your question. Try both ways see what you think. Also some people are sensitive to the fermented taste of the artifical sweeteners, so do bear that in mind if you go the Milo route. also While blueberry sounds like it will be a sweet taste, it will ferment dry and need some time to mellow out.

Looks yummy... If you have that much head space, go to bottle not another carboy for aging.

A little update - I bottled this cider after about 4 weeks in the carboy, backsweetened with some sugar-free mio drops and added some blueberry extract for aroma. I managed to keep it in the bottle for about 3 weeks before I cracked one open (and no bottle bombs!). I thought it was pretty good and my friends gave it good reviews, so I decided to bite the bullet and enter it into a local homebrew competition (BrewFest at Mt. Hope).

Well, they announced the winners tonight, and don't you know I won first place in the combined cider categories! :ban: I am shocked and very very excited. Thank you so much to everyone here who took the time to help me out.

I'm thinking of adding a little "Award-winning" sticker to the bottles I have left...what do you think? :-D

Back