First cider - does this look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primerib

Reaction score
Thanks all for your helpful replies to my question about pressing without a press. For my relatively small amount of apples (10 or so gallons, about 40 lbs) I ended up using a juicer to process them and it yielded about 2.5 gallons of juice, which I topped off to 5 gallons with pasteurized storebought (Aldi’s) juice.

I treated the fresh squeezed stuff with campden for >24 hrs before adding the storebought juice and pitching my yeast (cote des blancs).

This is what my primary fermentation looks like 5 days in...I read about krausen but this sure looks excessive and almost creamy or purulent. What do you guys say, within normal parameters for cider fermentation, or infected?

I appreciate the input and advice!

Attachments

• 94FE2751-B545-4472-A819-E8D309B741CE.jpeg
    94FE2751-B545-4472-A819-E8D309B741CE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
That is certainly a lot of foam, likely due to using a juicer, which extracts a lot more proteins.
It's not "infected".

Here's my fresh-pressed sulfited cider with Cote des Blancs at 5 days:
20181007_064853.jpg

Good to hear, thanks.

Probably a foolish question, but should I wait for this foam to settle down before taking a specific gravity reading after a couple weeks? Will it likely subside in the primary?

Good to hear, thanks.

Probably a foolish question, but should I wait for this foam to settle down before taking a specific gravity reading after a couple weeks? Will it likely subside in the primary?
The only foolish question is the one not asked.
51cdb38696446.jpeg db9.jpg
You can take a gravity reading at any time. But watch out for bubbles stuck to your hydrometer as it couldgive a false reading.

I’ve definitely been tempted to do just that. Will probably leave it alone for a bit longer and aim to check on my specific gravity later this week.

Not sure what my ultimate plan is with this cider, as it’s my first one. I’ll be bottling it and definitely want to carbonate, but I’ve never had a totally dry cider so I’m kind of curious about what it’ll taste like on it’s own without any sweetening added post-fermentation. If I like it I may keep it as is, but likely I’ll be exploring other options, non-fermentable sweeteners, or sweetening with sugar + priming/bottle pasteurization.

I haven’t found a very standardized method as for how much sugar to add for sweetening + priming with bottle pasteurization, I do know it varies with peoples’ tastes. I’ve read a bit on here about using (thawed) frozen apple juice concentrate but I’ve seen varying reports of 1-2 cans/5 gallon batch. Either way I intend to proceed very cautiously and conservatively with the carbonation with a low threshold for pasteurization. I wish there was an easier way without kegging!

I drink diet soda so I’m not sure why I’m somewhat opposed to using xylitol, stevia, etc. I suppose I’m just afraid of giving my cider a bad aftertaste and people not wanting to drink it.

I guess after being able to enjoy your finished product, half the fun in the “patience hobbies” as I call them, ie smoking meat, homebrewing, etc. is having friends and family say “you made this?!”

I drink diet soda so I’m not sure why I’m somewhat opposed to using xylitol, stevia, etc. I suppose I’m just afraid of giving my cider a bad aftertaste and people not wanting to drink it.
May just be coincidental, but when I use 71b I finish closer to 1.001-0.998 whereas fg with other wine yeasts are always lower. From what I understand, 71b also metabolizes some of the malic acid which helps with the mouth-feel.

I hate diet soda. The only non fermentable sweetener I will use is Xylitol. No aftertaste.

Back