First Cider atempt - stopping carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinaren82

Reaction score
Hello, first post from Norway here:) I have made my first batch of apple cider this year. It started of at 1.46 and I bottled it at 1.03 (?). I put in about a tea spoon of brown sugar of priming sugar pr 0,5 liter bottle. It has been carbonating for two weeks today at 23 degrees C. I think it has reached a suitable level of carbonation now, having tasted it throughout the two weeks. My question is: do i have to pasteurize the bottles to stop further carbonation, or is it safe to asume that all the sugar has been used in fermentation? Really don't want any bottle bombs;)

Also, what will the alcohol content be? Not shure how to calculate it.

It's kinda dangerous to assume it was finished at 1.003 unless it sat there for weeks. Also "about" a tsp. might mean 1-1/2 tsp. So to be safe I'd pasteurize unless you plan on refrigeration.

I forgot to mention that it measured about 1.03 with a month apart. When I say teaspoon, I mean a full, flat teaspoon. One option I have is to put all the bottles outside (winter and snow) or in my cellar (just above freezing temperature) where it is very cold at the moment. but i guess that will affect the taste?Thanks for your reply.

So that will kill the yeast or just slow it down? Don't like the idea of giving away bottles to other people if I'm not shure if the fermentation is complete.

Fermentation is NOT complete, not if it was bottled at 1.030 and then had sugar added besides. They will be bottle bombs for sure, so keeping them very cold helps slow the yeast but may not stop it.

If you bottled at 1.003, fermentation may be finished. I'm not sure if you are missing a decimial place or not. There is a huge difference between 1.030 and 1.003!

For safety, keep them COLD, or pasteurize. Pasteurization works well for some, but others get bottle bombs during the process if the cider is highly carbonated, so be careful!

Fermentation is NOT complete, not if it was bottled at 1.030 and then had sugar added besides. They will be bottle bombs for sure, so keeping them very cold helps slow the yeast but may not stop it.

If you bottled at 1.003, fermentation may be finished. I'm not sure if you are missing a decimial place or not. There is a huge difference between 1.030 and 1.003!

For safety, keep them COLD, or pasteurize. Pasteurization works well for some, but others get bottle bombs during the process if the cider is highly carbonated, so be careful!

Thanks a lot! I added a picture of my hydrometer measurement:) I am a total newbie, so i am not shure ;) this measured the same number twice a month apart. This means 1.003?

DSC_0037_1.jpg

Then I have put on my cheezy labels and the bottles are going in my cold cellar (in a box with a lid). Don't mind the spiders ;)

DSC_2556.jpg

DSC_2557.jpg

Back