First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been gathering stuff to start brewing for the last 3 months and today I finally got a chance to make my very 1st brew.

So far so good. Was a little high on my mash temp (156 instead of 154) but not knowing how much heat my set up would lose I let it go.

30 more minutes til I start boiling.

Enjoy the brew day and take notes so you can learn about your system and fine tune as you go.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Enjoy the brew day and take notes so you can learn about your system and fine tune as you go.

Everything went pretty smooth and I took notes like crazy. I was a little high on my OG (1.055 was shooting for 1.050) but I'll take it for my 1st time.

It's been 10 days now and I just pulled a sample to check the gravity. At 1.017 and it taste pretty damn good.

Going to let it go 2 to 3 more weeks before cold crashing.

I am betting you will be proud! If the only mistake you made was 2 degrees high for 156 on strike, you will get a nice brew. You can make it dryer next time, if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's been 10 days now and I just pulled a sample to check the gravity. At 1.017 and it taste pretty damn good.

Going to let it go 2 to 3 more weeks before cold crashing.

GOOD Job! Never fear if you OG is higher than expected: obviously that occurred either a.)less ending water volume/more concentrated-just add more water to boil next time or b.) you had a very fine grind/grain which is smart! or.. c.) you kick ass since you are already more efficient than your recipe thought you were --most are set to 65% efficiency or so as default and BIAB often gets 75-80% conversion!

Latest posts

Back