First Brew ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup

Reaction score
Picked up a Bavarian Hefe extract kit for my first brew. Should I follow the instructions for partial boil or do a full boil? My kettle is 7gal(approx).

anteup said:
Picked up a Bavarian Hefe extract kit for my first brew. Should I follow the instructions for partial boil or do a full boil? My kettle is 7gal(approx).

I did a bavarian heffe my last batch, very simple recipe of 6lb wheat lme, .75 oz hallertau @60, ad 3068 wyeast, i did a partial boil of 3 gallons and topped off at the end to get to 5gal. Beer tasted amazing!! Best batch yet, simple and relatively cheap.

The bennefit of full boils is it can be easier to keep the color lighter. The thing is, make sure you get your wort aerated since boil the water released desolved gases. Improperly aerated wort can be devistating to yeast. The my 2 cents, but im sure u could do a partial or full.

Most people will agree a full boil is better, but for your first brew you may not want to. You'll need 6G to get to your 5G mark, which you can do with your 7G kettle if you use some anti-foamer and watch for the hot-break to keep that down. (When it first starts to really boil)

The other problem is then cooling to 70 degrees before pitching your yeast. If you only boil enough to have 3 gallons, you can add 2G of chilled Distilled water, to help quickly bring the temp down.

So for your first brew day - I'd recommend the partial boil. Keep it simple, learn, and have fun.

Also - your instructions will state to only ferment for 1-2 weeks. Ignore that advise. Once you pitch your yeast, forget about it for at least 3 weeks. Then take gravity readings and bottle.

if you can do it, do the full boil. just remember to figure out how much liquid will boil off in an hour, so you end up with the right amount in the fermenter. 10-12% per hour is a typical boil off rate for me.

luke2080 said:
Most people will agree a full boil is better, but for your first brew you may not want to. You'll need 6G to get to your 5G mark, which you can do with your 7G kettle if you use some anti-foamer and watch for the hot-break to keep that down. (When it first starts to really boil)

The other problem is then cooling to 70 degrees before pitching your yeast. If you only boil enough to have 3 gallons, you can add 2G of chilled Distilled water, to help quickly bring the temp down.

So for your first brew day - I'd recommend the partial boil. Keep it simple, learn, and have fun.

Also - your instructions will state to only ferment for 1-2 weeks. Ignore that advise. Once you pitch your yeast, forget about it for at least 3 weeks. Then take gravity readings and bottle.

A couple things.

Why is a full boil better? I have been doing partials and have always wondered why a full is advantageous.

Also, This recipe is actually a very quick fermenting ale( well mine was at least). I fermented for 16 days, kegged, and it was amazing after only a couple days in the keg. After reading extensively i found that many other brewers ferment this type of wheat ale in about 2 weeks.. Of course ypu can ferment this one for 3 to be on the safe side : -)

For other ales i absolutely agree with you, dont tpuch it before 3, and if kegging let it sit in the keg at least one week

anteup said:

Oh a couple more things, Brewer be warned, many bavarian hefe yeast strains produce sulfur as a byproduct, which can smell like old eggs. You wont taste it in the beer, but youll smell it from the airlocks From day 2-5. Also these are aggresive fermentors and will overflow if youre not using a blowoff tube. I used fermcap-s in the fermentors and boy am i glad i did!! Other than those small things this is a great beer, and well worth it.

A couple things.

Why is a full boil better? I have been doing partials and have always wondered why a full is advantageous.

Here is a thread on the topic. If you are brewing with a kit, partial boil is probably the way to go - for the ease of it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/why-full-boil-better-than-partial-boil-42315/

But here is a thread discussing brewin an extract kit, comparing the same kit for a partial boil and a full boil:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/if-full-boil-possible-do-89826/

With the best quote being:
compared to my previous extract brews, this is like sucking on Anjelina Jolie's nipples compared to a night out with Roseanne Barr in a pizza parlour. THIS BREW ROCKS!!!!!

Well, I started before replies. Did a partial boil with 3gals. As for aggressive fermentation, I ask about this from LHBS where I bought the kit. I told him I was using a fermentation bucket and his reply was that I should have plenty of room and not to worry about blowoff. Could still connect but will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Yeah you might be alright, i ferment in two 3 gallon carboys and so to get the 5 gallons i have to fill them up pretty high with very little headspace, so i needed the fermcap.

Latest posts

Back