First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglysofa

Reaction score
Well after about a year of thinking about it and getting caught up in other stuff (along with lurking HBT) I finally started my first brew, Amber ale from Midwest. Sadly I didn't take a hydrometer reading at the beginning but as it's been six days in primary I just took my first of the series. I came out at 1.011, don't know if it's normal or what % abv I'm sitting at but honestly I'm not too worried. Kicked back with a Highland Gaelic Ale next to my fermenter on a friday night. :mug:

If it's an extract kit, the the lack of an OG reading is no big deal. There is no issue of extraction efficiency with extracts. As long as your ferment volume is correct, then it virtually guaranteed that your going to be within a couple of points of your predicted OG. Provided proper fermentation conditions, your predicted FG depends largely on the yeast variety and a little bit on the fermentables.

Excellent, If the gravity stays stable I plan to rack into secondary on sunday.

I know you're probably anxious to get at your new Nectar of the Gods, but realistically, most of the more experienced members of the forum will tell you to wait an absolute minimum of two weeks before racking to secondary. At eight days, your beer may technically be done fermenting, but the extra time in primary gives the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves, and clear up any off-flavors that they create in the early stages of fermentation.

Oh, and welcome to the obsession! :mug:

Back