first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshort4

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think. I put an oatmeal stout in the fermentation bucket Sunday afternoon (SG 1.045). That night I noticed that I was getting one air bubble about every minute in the air lock. The next morning I checked and I was getting one every 30 seconds. Last night checked again and was getting one per second (excited). Okay so this morning no bubbles?

I thought I better take a look. It looks like beer, no foam but there was a lot of debris stuck to the tank about 2 inches above the beer. Is the yeast done? Should I take another gravity reading? I used dry yeast.

definitely take another gravity reading, and then another a few days later. there is no harm (potential benefit in fact) in letting the beer hang out for a few weeks to let the yeast clean up the party.

i've had beers ferment to final gravity in 2-3 days before, and i know others have also, so it's not entirely uncommon.

It could easily be done. Listen to Android. Let it sit a while longer for the yeast to finish.

The yeast have much more work to do after fermentation is done. Throw out the =instructions that came with your kit.
My beers always get minimum 1 month on primary, then racked to keg.

Good lord no! lol....you should leave it so that the yeast can finish it's process. There are excess flavors from the yeast in the beer right now. The yeast needs time to clean up after itself as mentioned above. If you go to secondary now you could likely have buttery beer...which is not good.

I know it's your first beer and you want to try it ASAP, but give it time. At least 7 day's in primary, then if you want to secondary do it then. You will find conflicting views, but I just go with a long primary, 3-4 weeks.

should i go to a secondary now and then let it sit a couple of weeks?

Welcome to your new hobby -
Your new word:
PATIENCE.

Even when the hydrometer says it's done - let it sit. Watch your temps, but leave it be for a month. Let the yeasties do their thing, don't disturb them. Keep the cover on. Relax. Chill. Go do something else. plan your next brew.
:ban:

Simple answer in my mind.
If you need the primary to start another batch, I would say rack it to a secondary after another week. That is the only reasons I use a secondary, I have limited amounts of 7 gallon primaries and more 5 gal carboys.
If you don't need the primary wait another three weeks and then bottle, but limit the amount of movement to keep the layer of Co2 protecting the beer.
Give the yeast time to do what they do, really they are working hard for you but they go on their schedule and not yours. Longer you give them, the better job they do.

Back