first brew-worried about temperature!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
new to the forum and just started my first brew (muntons bitter)
My beer doesn't have any signs of fermenting (though I know its early, its only been going for around 24 hours)
I was wondering if my house is too cold?
It is probably somewhere around 10-15 degrees C as I don't have heating on.
Will this be too cold for my ale yeast to ferment or will I just have to wait longer before bottling?
Thanks!
Garrett

That sounds a bit cool to me. I bought a Brew Belt because my basement, where I do my fermenting, can get down into the 10-15 degree C range, especially when it is very cold outside, like it is now.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, 10-15C is too cold for most ale yeasts. 15C may work, but 10C is too cold and the drastic temperature swings are not good, that confuses the yeast and can cause them to go dormant. If there is any way to warm up the ambient temperature, or the fermenter itself, the yeast would appreciate it.

For most ale yeast, you'll want it up around 16-18*C. Nottingham will do fine at 13-15*C.

well ive wrapped it in an electric blanket, and hopefully that will save it. Is the yeast likely to still be viable or should I add more?
Thanks for the help!

After only 24 hours, your yeast is probably fine. Warming up the temp should make them active. Keep in mind it will likely take several hours to warm up the entire volume of beer. Sounds like you're on the right path.

well ive wrapped it in an electric blanket, and hopefully that will save it. Is the yeast likely to still be viable or should I add more?
Thanks for the help!

The cool temp won't hurt the yeast. It'll just cause them to go to sleep and not eat. Once they warm back up, they go at it again.

Great thanks guys, one more thing, I'm planning on bottling it into old beer bottles I've gathered up who caps from the local shop. Are that type strong enough for conditioning?

Back