First Brew with New Electric Rig!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floormatg

Reaction score
So I just finished my first brew with my electric Kal clone for 5 gal batches. Hit a few bumps but all in all it was a great success! I brewed a simple cream ale from an all grain kit, just wanted to keep it simple and easy so I didn't have alot invested in it if it went south... It almost did on my first try 2 weeks ago when I broke the outlet off my 20$ ebay pump 2 minutes before mashing in...

So 2 weeks later with two brand new SS chugger pumps, and here I am. Came out with an OG of 1.053, which is pretty close to what BeerSmith put me at, and according to BS I'm at 80% eff. which I was pretty surprised with, but happy. It took me about 4.5 hours to brew plus another hour cleanup, which is exactly what I was hoping for with this new setup. My primary reason for going electric with this setup was for time... No more messing around with a single brewpot and cooler, running out of propane for the banjo burner. Pretty sure I can get the time down at least another 45min.

One bump was my RTD's are off a bit more than I thought, I will have to calibrate them at mash temps (looks like I'll need a thermopen). Also have a bunch more upgrades planned but this is what it looked like today.

IMAG0554.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

Congrats!. Electric has totally changed my brewing. It's efficient, easy, safe, and way cheaper than lp. Definitely the way to go for anyone without LNG.

Back