First brew went bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretrichter

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

So this is my first time brewing. I am brewing a American Wheat with little bit of Orange peel zest and honey.

Starting Gravity: 1.05
Gravity 3 days ago: 1.01
Current Gravity: 1.01

Although every one on here tells me to wait longer than a week before moving to secondary to bottle, I decided to go by the directions of the kit to experiment and to learn from my own mistakes. First off, I was sure to use the cleaner that came with the kit, and was sure to maintain an EXTREAMLY clean area and equipment. This being my first brew, I found out this was a little harder than I thought, but tought I did just fine.

Following the directions, a week later I began to transfer beer to secondary.
To my surprise, There was a very very small oily filament on top. Almost unnoticeable. However, It has me a little worried. but it might be oil from the orange? not sure.

So does this beer look infected for being a week old??!?!?!?!
from everything iv read, I don't need to worry about the taste, it will get better with age.

attachment.php

----------------------------------------------------
attachment.php

The big circle on the top right was a bubble that popped, just fyi.

------------------------------
attachment.php

This is the yeast cake left over, Im assuming all the green might be the
hops since I just threw them in the boil.

---------------------------------------
attachment.php

The orange peel zest that was in the fermenter. again, I think the green might be hops.
--------------------------------------

attachment.php

I did taste it, It sorta tasted like beer, but more like old juice. It also had a very potant Beer/fruity smell to it. Im thinking it is because it still very very green.
--------------------------------------

default.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

It looks ok. I know it is fun to experiment, but keep in mind that time can often be your friend in brewing.

B

It looks ok. I know it is fun to experiment, but keep in mind that time can often be your friend in brewing.
B

Yes I understand. Im trying to brew some beer for me and my brother when he gets back from the military in less than two months, and Just wanted to see if its infected now, It wouldn't be too late to go for a round two.

But I will be giving this beer alot more time after tasting it, that is if it isnt/or will be infected.

I think you're okay too. Give it some time in secondary, maybe 3 weeks, and then bottle that baby. 2-3 weeks later and you'll know. It's an apprehensive time.

My first brew I transferred after 4 days because the guy I bought the kit from said to do so. After that I learned that it needed 2-3 weeks on primary yeast before going to secondary (if going to secondary at all). Wheats especially may not need secondary, but you gotta give em time.

Also I convinced myself that my Tripel was infected because of the god awful sour smell coming from the fermenter during the first few days. Cleaned up very nice in secondary and is now really great.

Also I convinced myself that my Tripel was infected because of the god awful sour smell coming from the fermenter during the first few days. Cleaned up very nice in secondary and is now really great.

The smell from mine is very potant. Stunk up the whole house. But not so much a bad smell. Smells almost like beer/fruity sort of smell. Im sure this will all clean up with time.

What do you guys think of the color?

Sorry if the pic wasnt perfect.

That oily film could be orange oil, hop oil, etc. Probably nothing to worry about. Cheers!

Back