First Brew, Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaraio

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and just started my first batch. I got a Cream Ale ingredient kit from Northern Brewer and followed the instructions very close. I did a yeast starter about 2 days before the brew. Used a wort chiller, pitched my starter at around 70 degrees and fermentation started off great. Thick foam, lots of bubbling and churning. But for some reason this morning there is no activity in the fermentation lock and the foam has started to recede. The wort started off around 1.040, I have not taken another reading but I can't imagine its done within two days.

I also used yeast energizer/nutrient as well. Any ideas as to why the fermentation is stuck?

I've had some beers finish in just over 24 hours...some take as long as 8 days.

By "finish" I mean active fermentation is completed.

Take a reading to set your mind at ease...then cover that batch back up and let her be for another couple of weeks.

Even though your beer may be done churning, there are a lot of other things (not so obvious) that your yeast needs to do with that beer.

According to today's reading its down to 1.016, little more to go and I noticed a little bit of bubbling action still going on. I guess I just got a little excited!

Glad to hear it's going just fine. It's a great hobby, this brewing, isn't it? The hardest part isn't the brewing, the sanitizing or the bottling. It's having the patience to wait it out! Now's the time to make another batch, to take your mind off of the first one. Trust me, it does help. :D

Back