First brew - ran into a bit of an issue. Help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmSadda

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'll post an intro thread in a bit, but I felt like this was a bit more pressing.

My buddy and I did our first brew (well, my first - he'd done it with his dad once) yesterday, and everything went well I believe. However, I went downstairs (to where the beer is fermenting) today, and it smelled rather hoppy. Now, normally I wouldn't mind that, but I checked out the beer and found this:
2011-06-26_17-00-11_46.jpg

What, if anything, should I do about this?

Cheers :mug:

-Collin

It's now managed to blow the entire cap (from the rubber part up) off. Should I just sanitize it and put it back on, or dump enough beer out to stop this from happening again, or what?

If you don't have the tubing to put together a blowoff then just pull the airlock/stopper, clean it, sanitize it, refill the airlock with sanitizer and put it back.

Clean and sanitize top and put stopper back on with a blowoff tube with end in bucket of water....mine did that too and it turned out fine

I would just clean things up, put the bung and airlock minus the hat and cap, and use a couple feet of siphon tubing into a jug of water/sanitizer. The tubing should fit the airlock stem perfectly.

Not so fast, there may still be a problem. I suggest that you send me a few bottles of the finished product for inspection! Please include some pretzels and peanuts.

Can't do that with my airlocks. The lift tube is the same OD as the tubing I have,& nobody around here has 7/16". So,I cut the "S" type airlock I got from cooper's to get the piece I needed to fit the airlock grommet. Connect the other end to the 3/8" tubing. Then fill a half gallon vodka jug 1/3 full of water,& stick the hose in it.
I bought 10' lengths of tubing in a couple sizes from home cheapo for $7.49 a roll. So now all 3 buckets have dedicated blow offs,racking hoses,bottling wands,etc. And I bought a 3 piece set of nice funnels at the cheapy store for a buck. Took the one I needed & gave momma the other 2. This funnel fits all the hoses snugly for washing/sanitizing.

Back