First brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjosefy

Reaction score
Ok guys my first brew attempt was a Brewers Best American Cream Ale. Everything's pretty good but here's the problem I think it tastes better straight out of the fermenter then it does bottled. But it could be I haven't waited long enough since it's only been bottled for 1 week but it was so good straight out of the fermenter it had a Guinness in a can like drinkability kind of a creamy goodness and a clean finish. I almost didn't want to do anything else to it anyways has any of you ever experienced this?

Just relax and give it time, patience is one of the hardest parts if brewing. Carbonation is going to change the body and mouth feel of any brew so just give it enough time to finish

Just relax and give it time, patience is one of the hardest parts if brewing. Carbonation is going to change the body and mouth feel of any brew so just give it enough time to finish

Spot on. Have patience, it's worth it. I usually give my brews about 3 weeks in bottle to condition before I drink one. My stouts take longer than my IPAs to fully carbonate..stouts sometimes upwards of 4 weeks. It goes through a sort of mini fermentation cycle in bottles, so this conditioning phase plus the building of C02 is key to the end product. What you are tasting now is referred to as "green" beer..it needs more time.

On the other hand, if you like it as is, bottle it without priming sugar. The yeast will continue to ferment the remaining sugars and you will get carbonation, just at a very low level. Also check out the styles that are traditionally served at very low carb levels. That may be where your taste preferences lie.

As well as carb levels, maybe this beer is better served closer to room temperature. Some of the flavours are dampened when chilled. Just out of curiosity.. did you bulk prime your beer and if so did you taste from the fermenter before or after priming solution?

The bottled beer definitely needs more time to carb & condition. Give it a couple more weeks, then chill some for 5-7 days & it should be better.

I bulked primed and first drank what was left in the graduated cylinder. Then i added priming sugar and drank what was left in the bottling bucket both were good. i do like somewhat warm beer unless it is summer time. But anyways i sure it is fine I drank one on Monday and it was a lot better i sure time will fix it. The beer is way drinkable right now just not as good as it first was. thanks for you guys time and now we wait.

Latest posts

Back