First brew mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschadt06

Reaction score
So I think I might have made a mistake when transfering my wort. I actually strained it as I poured into fermenter thinking that was going to help keep beer clear. Should I have left all that in the fermenter? Also I was brewing a wheat and my wort was really dark. I know I did not burn anything becuse at my class they stressed stirring using the extract?? Please someone make me feel a little more confident?

Straining the wort is something that most home brewers do or at least leaving that thick trub behind after the boil is desirable. This residue is called the "Hot/Cold break" and actually can cause some off flavors in certain styles if you put it in the fermenter. Just get as much of the liquid as you can and you are good to go!

If you strained it going into primary,that was a good thing. If you mean by transfering your wort to secondary,you just oxidized it. Your wheat beer came out dark most likely because you used all the LME in a 60 minute boil. LME is the easiest to darken & make that twang. I started using plain DME in the boil for hop additions.

Straining from the kettle to primary is a good thing imo and I do it as standard process. Not only does it help to limit trub going into the fermenter, it aides in aerating your wort. As Union said, straining from primary to secondary or your bottling bucket/keg is a no-no and will cause oxidation.

Great! I strained it from kettle to the primary. Thanks for the fast reply! First time brewing and using thie forum. Now my next challenge it to figure our siphoning?? Any tips?

Ok great. I went from Kettle to primary. Now I need to figure out siphoning? Any tips. really wish I paid more attention in my science classes!! LOL!

Buy an auto-siphon. And buy the 1/2" one, at that. The smaller regular siphons that come with most kits will work, but are too slow. (although, I have time to drink some brew while siphoning :D)

If you have a regular siphon, you will need to put it in the beer and suck on the end until the entire length is filled with beer and cap the end with your thumb. Put the end in whatever container you are siphoning into and release. The beer should start flowing into the container. Oh, and you need to have the container that you are pulling from on a level that is higher than the container you are going into.

Buy an auto-siphon. And buy the 1/2" one, at that. The smaller regular siphons that come with most kits will work, but are too slow. (although, I have time to drink some brew while siphoning :D)

If you have a regular siphon, you will need to put it in the beer and suck on the end until the entire length is filled with beer and cap the end with your thumb. Put the end in whatever container you are siphoning into and release. The beer should start flowing into the container. Oh, and you need to have the container that you are pulling from on a level that is higher than the container you are going into.

I agree with the advice to buy an autosiphon, super easy and well worth the $10.

I strongly disagree with the "suck" method of starting a siphon, needless potential to infect your beer and it is gross. To start your siphon prime the line (fill it) with your no-rinse sanitizer of choice before inserting the raking cane into your beer, release the end (either your sanitized thumb or inline valve to start the siphon flow) and drain into a waste container, once the line is filled with beer, move the line over to the vessel you are racking into.

Cheers, Werbi

I agree with the advice to buy an autosiphon, super easy and well worth the $10.

I strongly disagree with the "suck" method of starting a siphon, needless potential to infect your beer and it is gross. To start your siphon prime the line (fill it) with your no-rinse sanitizer of choice before inserting the raking cane into your beer, release the end (either your sanitized thumb or inline valve to start the siphon flow) and drain into a waste container, once the line is filled with beer, move the line over to the vessel you are racking into.

Cheers, Werbi

I you are racking unfermented wort from kettle to fermenter, then yes, do not "suck". But IMO, using that method for fermented beer will be fine, as the alcohol content will prevent nasties from propagating, greatly reducing the risk of infection.

Just buy an auto-siphon, and you won't "suck"! :)

Cheers, Werbi

What he said

I use a racking cane and do the siphoning the "hard way." My method, which works pretty well if you have an assistant, is to set the carboy/bucket that you're siphoning from on the table, next to a bucket of sanitizer. I then fill the cane and siphon tube with water from the tap, cover the end with my thumb, and stick the cane in the sanitizer. I siphon into a waste jug until I'm sure that it's sanitizer coming through, then cover the end again and the assistant moves the cane into the carboy with the wort/beer. As soon as it's in, I remove my thumb and siphon until beer is coming out. I then stop the flow again and transfer the output tube into the destination carboy and siphon away.

It's really quite easy and ensures that the only contamination will be sanitizer. So far I've had no urge to add an auto-siphon to this setup.

That's really one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

A whirlpool helps.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I find that long primaries render my beer just as clear, and crisp tasting regardless of whether I dumped it all in or not....so I just do what works for me.....

I strain from brew kettle to fermenter, autosiphon from fermenter to bottling bucket, and do 4 week bottle conditioning. Never had a yeast cake dribble into the glass, even when I upend the bottle completely.

you will need to put it in the beer and suck on the end until the entire length is filled with beer and cap the end with your thumb..

No, definitely don't do this.

Instead, fill the sanitized and clean syphon with water, lock one end so the water doesn't drain out, put the syphon in your beer and then unlock it so the water starts flowing. Drain the water into a juice jug or something until beer starts flowing, then move the syphon to the vessel you want the beer to flow into.

Back