First brew is done and I have a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm1477

Reaction score
I brewed an all extract kit (brown ale) that I picked up at the LHBS. I kept it in primary for 2 weeks until I got steady FG readings for 4 days in a row. I then transferred it to secondary for 3 more weeks. (It was kind of cloudy) After that, I kegged it and carbonated it and let it sit for two more weeks. I tasted it for the first time today and I was impressed with the flavor. Good head and retention. Pretty good for a first go I thought.

The problem is, is that it doesn't "feel" like it's carbed at all. It kinda feels like flavored water, if you know what I mean.

Is this an extract issue? Is it a green beer issue? Will it get better with age?

Any help would be appreciated.

6# of LME added at 60 min
1 oz Cascade added at 60 min
.5 oz Cascade added at 5 min
Cooled in an ice bath down to 80 F
Strained out hops as it went into carboy
Pitched dry yeast on wort (don't remember what type)
Fermentation started within 4 hours. Bubbled like crazy for 4 or 5 days.

Did the kit contain any steeping grains, or was it just six pounds of extract? Assuming you are making a five gallon batch, it will be smaller, thinner beer. Six pounds of liquid extract will yield an original gravity of around 1.043.

Forgot all about the steeping grains. I do not remember what they were, but there were some specialty grains that I steeped for half an hour or so at 150 F.

I added pre-boiled and cooled water to top up to 5 gallons. I think I boiled about 2.5 gallons with the extract and added 2.5 gallons of straight water.

Would full boils make a big difference? I am assuming from what I have read here that it would.

I brewed an all extract kit (brown ale) that I picked up at the LHBS. I kept it in primary for 2 weeks until I got steady FG readings for 4 days in a row. I then transferred it to secondary for 3 more weeks. (It was kind of cloudy) After that, I kegged it and carbonated it and let it sit for two more weeks. I tasted it for the first time today and I was impressed with the flavor. Good head and retention. Pretty good for a first go I thought.

The problem is, is that it doesn't "feel" like it's carbed at all. It kinda feels like flavored water, if you know what I mean.

Is this an extract issue? Is it a green beer issue? Will it get better with age?

Any help would be appreciated.

How long have you had it on gas, and at what pressure and temperature?

It's been at 38 F for 2 weeks. I pumped it up to 35 psi for 24 hours, then backed it down to 10 psi for 2 weeks.

I don't think that there is a leak anywhere. I've held the taps under water and don't see any bubbles. I've also sprayed the posts and connectors with soapy water and didn't see anything there either.

The beer is pretty foamy, just doesn't have the "body" that I thought it would.

I've found a similar thing. I have kegged my last couple beers. The first one i added 3/8 of a cup of priming sugar to the keg, the last two i just forced carbonated (well actually i added sugar, but no pressure built up in the keg) The ones that i forced carbonated tasted very flabby, basically like there was a little foam on the top. It did not taste like it was "carbed all the way through"

when i forced i bumped it 30 psi for a day, and then backed it off to 12 psi for three weeeks

I brewed an all extract kit (brown ale) that I picked up at the LHBS. I kept it in primary for 2 weeks until I got steady FG readings for 4 days in a row. I then transferred it to secondary for 3 more weeks. (It was kind of cloudy) After that, I kegged it and carbonated it

wow kegged your first brew?

what kinda beginners kit did you score?

I bought the whole kegging setup off of Craigslist for next to nothing. It needed a lot of work to get everything up to snuff, but I thought it was well worth my time. The kegs actually had beer in them that had been there for over a year and a half.

sjl: That's exactly what I was thinking...not "carbed all the way through"

Back