First brew in the bucket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cmu92

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on the forum! Some great advice and suggestions. The first batch is now in the bucket waiting on fermentation to start. Yeast was pitched at about noon! Hopefully I will see some signs in the next day or so. What would be the soonest I would expect to see anything? Once again thanks to everyone!

If you re-hydrated the dry yeast & pitched at high krausen, you could see activity in 3 hours or so. Pitched dry, between midnight & tomorrow morning would be average.

Thanks.... I did rehydrate. I know what Krausen is, but what does "pitched at high Krausen" mean?

Simply put, when there's krausen foam on top of the re-hydrating yeast. This is when the yeast cells are most active & multiply faster when pitched into the wort, especially when the rehydrate is within 10 degrees of current wort temp so as not to shock the yeast. They get through the lag, or reproductive phase faster so you see visible fermentation faster as a result.

You're welcome! I nailed this on my ESB with S-04 yeast & it fermented out & cleared in 10 days flat. A record for me.:rockin:

Awesome, now go out and get a 2nd bucket or a carboy and get batch #2 fired up. No one wants to drink only one brew. Gotta have some choices!

Thanks to everyone on the forum! Some great advice and suggestions. The first batch is now in the bucket waiting on fermentation to start. Yeast was pitched at about noon! Hopefully I will see some signs in the next day or so. What would be the soonest I would expect to see anything? Once again thanks to everyone!

A high gravity Scotch strong ale I made with US-05 dry (rehydrated) yeast didn't start bubbling until three days. Then it took off fiercely and was done within three days. A wine I pitched dry (rehydred) wine yeast into started bubbling within about 30 minutes, but kept going slowly for almost a month. You just never really know. And I've had beers, ciders, and wines everywhere in between that.

But regardless, seeing your first brew bubbling for the first time is exciting! :mug:

You're welcome! I nailed this on my ESB with S-04 yeast & it fermented out & cleared in 10 days flat. A record for me.:rockin:

I'm about to do my first brew and have that yeast.

I was told a blow off tube may be a good idea? How did yours go?

The recipe for the ESB recommended 30% head space in the fermenter with the S-04. Especially re-hydrated. I only got about 3-4 inches of krausen, but it bubbled steadily like a machine gun stuck on auto-fire. But being rehydrated, I pitched it at high krausen & within 10 degrees of current wort temp as well. It got through the lag phase in some 3 hours & started visibly fermenting. Gave the ESB a great malt/hops balance as well. I got the stuff to brew that one again with that yeast when I get time. :mug: Without the 30% head space, I'd definitely use a blow-off rig.

I'm about to do my first brew and have that yeast.

I was told a blow off tube may be a good idea? How did yours go?

In probably 20 batches I've only needed a blow off once. That's when I used a carboy instead of a bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back