First brew in a long time. Questions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbo24

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch of American Pale Ale yesterday in kit form from MoreBeer. It was a liquid extract kit. All seemed to go well but I do have several questions for you folks. I’ve brewed before about 30 years ago but my memory of that is about as gone as yesterday’s bacon.

First, the recipe stated that once my extract had dissolved, to bring the kettle to a boil again and I would encounter a Hot Break where a large volume of foam would appear quickly and I should turn the heat down then to prevent over flow. The huge volume of foam never happened! I did have about 1/4” of foam on the top that covered about half of the top of the wort, but no more. In total, I boiled for about 30-45 min waiting for the huge foam, gave up and then started my 60 min boil time. I’m sure I lost a lot of liquid to evaporation unnecessarily in that time! Does the Hot Break always occur? Did I mess anything up by boiling for that additional 30 min or so?

Secondly, I used an auto siphon to transfer to a Fermonster. I lost probably about 1/2” or maybe a little less of wort by leaving the crud in the bottom of the kettle. Should I just have transferred everything in the kettle to the Fermonster? Would that have hurt anything?

Third, overnight I have a great krauzen but very little bubble action in the airlock. I made sure the o-ring was properly seated in the lid of the Fermonster and tightened it down pretty hard. I know that there is a camp that doesn’t really worry about bubble activity in the air lock if all else looks good but is it normal for Fermonsters to leak air. I’m not saying it does but good krauzen and hardly any bubbles leads me there!

Background: Cali yeast calls for 59-72 degree F fermentation temp and I’m at 66 where I have the Fermonster stored and out of the light. OG was 1.050 on the dot. Kit says OG range of 1.044-1.050.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Beers up!!

First, the recipe stated that once my extract had dissolved, to bring the kettle to a boil again and I would encounter a Hot Break where a large volume of foam would appear quickly and I should turn the heat down then to prevent over flow. The huge volume of foam never happened! I did have about 1/4” of foam on the top that covered about half of the top of the wort, but no more. In total, I boiled for about 30-45 min waiting for the huge foam, gave up and then started my 60 min boil time. I’m sure I lost a lot of liquid to evaporation unnecessarily in that time! Does the Hot Break always occur? Did I mess anything up by boiling for that additional 30 min or so?

With extract, there's often not much in the way of hot break. Boiling longer than you otherwise would have reduces volume and increases post-boil Original Gravity, and ultimately increases ABV.

Secondly, I used an auto siphon to transfer to a Fermonster. I lost probably about 1/2” or maybe a little less of wort by leaving the crud in the bottom of the kettle. Should I just have transferred everything in the kettle to the Fermonster? Would that have hurt anything?

I try to keep as much kettle trub ("crud") out of the fermenter as possible. Some believe it doesn't matter.

Third, overnight I have a great krauzen but very little bubble action in the airlock. I made sure the o-ring was properly seated in the lid of the Fermonster and tightened it down pretty hard. I know that there is a camp that doesn’t really worry about bubble activity in the air lock if all else looks good but is it normal for Fermonsters to leak air. I’m not saying it does but good krauzen and hardly any bubbles leads me there!

If you don't eventually see bubbling, you have a leak somewhere (or fermentation hasn't begun). The fermonster is a transparent fermenter. Do you see wort/beer moving around?

I’m sure I lost a lot of liquid to evaporation unnecessarily in that time!
The water you would have lost is pretty much pure water so you could just add it back at the end of the boil if your volume is short.

Bubbles in the airlock are for the entertainment of the brewer. One of my fermenters has a simple flap of plastic over the airlock hole. It never bubbles but it makes beer. I don't have time to sit and watch the bubbles anyway.

With extract, there's often not much in the way of hot break. Boiling longer than you otherwise would have reduces volume and increases post-boil Original Gravity, and ultimately increases ABV.

I try to keep as much kettle trub ("crud") out of the fermenter as possible. Some believe it doesn't matter.

If you don't eventually see bubbling, you have a leak somewhere (or fermentation hasn't begun). The fermonster is a transparent fermenter. Do you see wort/beer moving around?
Great krausen on top and a lot of movement of the wort below the surface. Kinda like someone shook it up!! Just don’t see very few bubbles in the air lock!

Wort moving around like crazy!!!!

Yeah nothing to fret about. If you're getting some burps from the air lock it can't be much of an air leak if at all. A layer of krausen tells me that you have fermenting going on, enjoy the view.
I use 2 Fermonsters and love them but,,, you said you really tightened the lid. I hope you have a wrench to loosen it when the time comes. I have found that once the o-ring seats I just give it just a tick more, a good snugging. The first time I grunted the lid down too, I used all kinds of bad words to get the lid loose again. I bought a lid wrench, 100% worth it.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Yeah nothing to fret about. If you're getting some burps from the air lock it can't be much of an air leak if at all. A layer of krausen tells me that you have fermenting going on, enjoy the view.
I use 2 Fermonsters and love them but,,, you said you really tightened the lid. I hope you have a wrench to loosen it when the time comes. I have found that once the o-ring seats I just give it just a tick more, a good snugging. The first time I grunted the lid down too, I used all kinds of bad words to get the lid loose again. I bought a lid wrench, 100% worth it.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.
Great. Thank you. Yes, I have read I might need a wrench!

I have found that once the o-ring seats I just give it just a tick more, a good snugging. The first time I grunted the lid down too, I used all kinds of bad words to get the lid loose again.

Great. Thank you. Yes, I have read I might need a wrench!
That’s my one complaint about the Fermonster… it takes 2 men and a boy to get the lid off. It’s almost impossible to hang on tight anywhere to get a good grip either.

Back