first brew in 25 years! Yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedzap

Reaction score
I am getting back into brewing after 25 years. Brewed my first batch yesterday, and think I made an error. Didn't decant anything off of my yeast starter, poured in a liter or more (total volume).

I just now read a post that mentions that you should remove as much of the "beer" liquid as possible, just pitching the slurry.

Will this hurt the beer?

This first batch was a (simple) Newcastle clone, everything else went pretty well. I liked the Grainfather, want to improve sparge water heating and cleanup processes.

I am getting back into brewing after 25 years. Brewed my first batch yesterday, and think I made an error. Didn't decant anything off of my yeast starter, poured in a liter or more (total volume).

I just now read a post that mentions that you should remove as much of the "beer" liquid as possible, just pitching the slurry.

Will this hurt the beer?

This first batch was a (simple) Newcastle clone, everything else went pretty well. I liked the Grainfather, want to improve sparge water heating and cleanup processes.

Don't worry about it. Lots of brewers pitch the whole thing. I'd say it's not an ideal practice, especially if you're making a very light beer (e.g., pilsner) in which there's little malt and hops to hide off flavors. I think it's better to put in the fridge overnight, so the yeast settles to the bottom, decant, then pitch. But another school of thought is to pitch it while it's active, and not cold crash it. I have done it both ways and believe it or not, I made beer both times!

What took you so long??? Well anyways, welcome back. I hope you enjoyed your brewday.

You won't hurt the beer by pouring in the whole starter. Sometimes when my volume is a little low I do the same thing and pour the whole starter in the wort. You are only blending your starter "beer" with your wort and and one liter in 20 won't make a big difference.

Enjoy your beer!

Appreciate the replies.

I measured the OG after I pitched the yeast, and it was 1.05 (where the recipe was talking 1.046). Looking at it that way, the extra volume probably didn't hurt.

What took you so long???

Brewed in college and grad school (in Virginia), then the first job was in Phoenix. It just seemed too difficult to continue a hobby which required a heating element.

Just got interested again when I stumbled across the Grainfather. After one brew session I like it a lot.

Back