First Brew in 14 years...good to be back!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatoBaggins

Reaction score
I'm making an Elbrow Nerkte Nut Brown Ale tonight. This is my first batch in 14 years. Wow, I can't believe it's been that long. :(

I moved from New Mexico to the great Northwest back then. I found a boat load of very fine microbrews up here. I just hadn't had the urge to brew my own for a very long time.

But a new wife and a new outlook on life has me back in a creative mood! Also, I found my brew notes last week and saw that the last date I brewed anything was 04/20/95! It was great fun reading through all my notes, especially the ones I made regarding how nice the beer tasted.

Another inspiration is that my wife's brother owns Creekside Brewing, a small brewpub in San Louis Obispo. It just opened at the beginning of the year. Great beer! (Shameless plug for brother-in-law.):)

So it's good to find this excellent forum and join back in the fun.

This reminds me of the scene in "Old School" when Will Ferrell shoots himself in the neck with the tranq gun, and Sean William Scott says "That's Awesome!"

Welcome back!

I took a 7 year hiatus. It's amazing how much more and better information is out there these days, the quality of the ingredients, and the resources. I have all my old scribbled notes and when I compare them to what I have from Beersmith it's unbelievable.

Happy Brewing!

Thanks, gentlemen.

She's bubbling away this morning so everything seems to be a go for a nice nut brown ale in 2-3 weeks.

Yes, so many new things to learn. I'm not exactly sure what Beersmith is, but I'll find out. Seems like there's some software out there for keeping notes and predicting what the beer will be like.

That's the great thing about forums like this. There are so many great people out there willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks again for the welcome!

I took a 10 year break and celebrated by brewing 200 gallons , +/- 30 for legal technicalities :D

Started back into it by a friend who brews.
He told me one day to come over and bring a carboy :D
That week I ordered a few kits from NB and by March I was $250 into a bulk grain group buy from North Country :rockin:

Welcome back

Welcome back to the addiction. I love seeing these kinds of posts. It just goes to show you, just when you think you've kicked the habit, it sneaks back up on you. ;)

Welcome back!

I started brewing a few years before you gave it up.

After a slowdown over the last five or six years, the craft has changed for the better (this forum being one of them). The days of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing being THE resource, Homebrew bitterness units, complicated calculations (if you even bothered with them) to determine expected gravity, are gone. Quite simply the resources available now are staggering.

Welcome back! I know you will find tons more resources nowadays (this one being the best) and you will find your brewing to be more complete and rewarding.

Back