First brew. I think I eff'd up already

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubvortex

Reaction score
Ok I am very new at this, I Just finished my first extract brew. It is in the fermenter right now, but I think I messed up already:(. When I pitched the yeast the wort wasnt at the right temp (around 80 degrees). I know it needs to ferment around 60-70 ° F. I have the primary in cold water now hoping to bring the temps down. What will the effects be for pitching the yeast at a high temp?

BTW its an American Wheat

It will be OK. 80 is a little higher than you want but I don't think it will hurt the yeast.

why do you have to put it in cold water? What is the temp of the room the primary is in?

The temp of the room is high 60's, but I was just trying to cool it down more since its still higher tahn it should be.

You'll be fine, just chill out and relax :) I doubt you did any damage with the 80 degree pitch, its not optimal but yeast are tough little guys.

Only thing you need to worry about is fermenting at consistently high temps (like 80 degrees), which can produce off flavors.

You've done the correct thing given the pitching temperature. Continue to bring the temp down to around 62 - 65, and maintain that temperature through fermentation (i.e. leave it in the cool water, add frozen bottles of water as needed). At 70 - 80 fermentation temperatures, you would get some esters/phenols that will contribute a flavor to your beer that you probably don't want.

ok, thanks.

Im just worrying too much, just like everyone else does their first time. Hopefully it wil all work out.:drunk:

again i post this alot. I can only get my beer cooled to like 78-80 at best. And right now i'm to lazy to find containers that will hold water and throw ice into them morning and night...

Anyway 5 batches into it, and fermenting at a solid 78 or so all the time... They all come out just fine.

I did the same thing with a Red ale a few weeks back... fermented (inadvertently) for about 30 hours at 80, then stuck it in water to cool it down to mid 60s. I tasted it when I racked a week ago and it tasted fine. My understanding is that the largest factor is how tolerant your yeast is to extreme temps.

Yeah I was just worried the heat killed the yeast, But within the first 12 hours my airlock was bubbling away:ban:

Yeah I was just worried the heat killed the yeast, But within the first 12 hours my airlock was bubbling away:ban:

Huzzahs are in order then! Just need to RDWHASBB (Relax Don't Worry Have a Store Bought Brew.... ya know, seeing as it's your first batch.)

Anyway 5 batches into it, and fermenting at a solid 78 or so all the time... They all come out just fine.

+1 I don't stress temperature too much. The last couple of mine have been 78 during active fermentation and 72-74 otherwise. Turn out great, even with yeast that are known to have a lot of fruity esters like whitbread.

Hasn't anyone told you to "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew?" yet? ;)

Seriously, between me and my husband, we've screwed up six ways till Sunday making most of our batches, and they've all turned out fine anyway :) Award-winning, probably not ... but more than drinkable!

My wife activates bread yeast @ 110 deg. Even tho it is bread yeast, those critters are probably not that much different from beer yeast--I was i a hurry to make pool league & pitched in the 80s & all came out fine. Good luck.

I've had lots of challenges bringing down wort temperatures to optimal pitching range, because the "cold" water just isn't that cold in the Texas summer, and the ice just melts in the sink. With that said, I've pitched a few batches at 80F and never had any problems.

It will ferment, and it will be the best beer you've made yet. :mug:

Back