First brew gone wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toxick

Reaction score
Hi all,

I "boiled" up my first brew about 6 weeks ago from a brewer's best extract kit (Holiday Ale). The reason "boiled" is in quotes is that, due to the fact that the pot I used has a slight (maybe 1mm) lip around the bottom edge, and I have a glasstop stove, the wort never reached a real full rolling boil. This, I figured out after the whole process was complete. The thermometer showed temps very close to boiling (210+), and there were bubbles boiling up from the bottom, but it was never a *real* full boil.

I fermented for 15 days, added the priming sugar, and filled up 48 bottles. I have been bottle conditioning at around 72F for the last 4 weeks. I neglected to take multiple SG readings before bottling to ensure it was done. OG was 1.065 and FG was 1.016 when I bottled. I was told that if there weren't any bubbles coming out of the airlock, I was done fermenting. I now know after reading this forum that's not necessarily the case.

I put one of my beers in the fridge last night and just opened it to try one out, and it was...well...real bad. Sickly-sweet smell and taste. Good carbonation, but undrinkable.

So, my question is, did the "mostly a boil" at the very beginning have anything to do with that, or is it more likely that the beer wasn't done fermenting when I bottled it? In either case, what are the chances that letting it sit for a few more weeks help out at all?

thanks!

Yea probably because of the lack of a boil. The boiling lets the hop oils become soluble in the wort. Probably didnt get enough bitterness from the hops. I dont know how to fix it. Maybe franks red hot?:D

Was the fg close to the estimated fg from the recipe?

-Nick

Sounds like youre aware that temp affects hop utilization, so no need to press on that fact. What else can you do but wait?

Since its a holiday ale i'm guessing it's spicy, but maybe you can still find a beer to mix it with if it doesnt mellow out. Or you'll have a beer to check on for months, and maybe youll go through them eventually or find someone who likes it.

Your "almost boil" was at a higher temp than my boil. Was the ferment temp you listed the ambient temp? The actual fermentation temp will be higher, so you could be getting some nasty byproducts. I used to live in San Antonio, so I get how tough it can be to keep the temps low. The room I ferment in holds a constant 58-61, and since I stopped adding the brew belt to raise my temps, my results have been much better.

You only fermented for 2 weeks, next time leave it for 3-4. It's not going to hurt to leave your beer on the yeast longer before bottle conditioning.

Was the fg close to the estimated fg from the recipe?

Yeah, FG from the recipe says 1.015-1.018.

mongrel said:
Was the ferment temp you listed the ambient temp? The actual fermentation temp will be higher, so you could be getting some nasty byproducts.

The temp I quoted was from the thermometer strip on the side of the fermenter. I was never really too sure about the accuracy of something like that, but it was the best I had to go on.

How long has the brew been in the bottle? It may just need some more time to eat up the sugars for full carbiantion.

OK, I'm guessing you're fermenting a little high temp wise. Leave it on the yeast another 2 weeks, and try to drop the temps at least 5 degrees.

OK, I'm guessing you're fermenting a little high temp wise. Leave it on the yeast another 2 weeks, and try to drop the temps at least 5 degrees.
I brewed up another batch two weeks ago, brewer's best english bitter this time, which I'm keeping in a freezer with a johnson thermostat set at about 69 degrees. The temperature probe is sitting in a glass of water at the bottom of the freezer. Should I drop the temp on that? I have no problem keeping it on the yeast for another two weeks. I'm sure you understand I was a little antsy with my first batch to get it into the bottle and ready to drink. Patience, as I've been reading over and over again, is key; however, not a strong suit of mine :)

Just a quick update, because I know everyone has been sitting on the edges of their seats on this one... Tried another one yesterday after a day of refrigeration, and most of the undesirable sweetness was gone. Still some there, but the beer was definitely drinkable. I imagine it's only going to get better, and will probably be "done" in a couple more weeks.

Thanks for all the advice. Cheers!

I took a look at the Brewers best HOliday Ale recipe. It just lists "spice pack" as an ingredient. I'm going to guess there was cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and/or all spice in there. Maybe something else, who knows. But those spices take a while to mellow and come out in holidays brews. But you're right on about waiting.

The spice pack contained a lot of orange peel and coriander, IIRC. The smell of it reminded me too much of Blue Moon, which I don't really like, so I only used a very small amount of the pack. Maybe a teaspoon or two? In any case, I'll try drinking another one next weekend and see how it's progressing. I'm excited that it seems to be improving, and may turn out to be completely drinkable :)

I did a brew with orange peel and coriander, didn't taste like much for the first month, and at 2-3 months it started really tasting awesome when the spices started to come out. Took about 2 months, a little less, for the spices to settle and meld in a holiday ale. Both were awesome, but before that time both tasted pretty poorly.

Two weeks later, and it's better still. I wouldn't quite call it "done", but it's getting there.

:mug:

Cheers!

ForumRunner_20110328_233549.jpg

Try to save some of that brew for another couple months and compare the flavors. I'll bet you will wish you had saved it all.

FWIW... if you started at 1065 and ended at 1016, then your yeast manage ~80% attenuation. Pretty darn good. As for the hops, boiling is better for isomerization, but temperature is most important. I'm sure that did impact the flavor profile. My guess, and you're slowly proving it, is that you're just wanting it to be ready yesterday... Most styles really come into their own after conditioning for at least a month. Congrats on brewing a great beer!

Thanks for all the kind remarks and encouragement, everybody. I do plan on keeping at least a 6-pack tucked away in the back of a closet somewhere for a couple months just to see how it changes. Should be easy to do once my next batch is ready to drink :)

Back