First brew funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuu

Reaction score
For my first brew I did a SNPA extract Clone from Austin brew Supply. There's something slightly off. I smelled this in the fermenter as it was in the primary a little. It is a slight plastic/maybe even rubbery taste.

I did not have a hydrometer at the time so I went by visuals to figure out if fermenting was done. It sat in a fermenting bucket in a larger bucket with water and frozen water bottles to keep it at about 65 for 2 weeks then to a glass carboy for another 2 at the same temperature. Then bottled and have been in the bottle for 2 weeks.

Color and smell of the brew are spot on with SNPA and its nice and clear with plenty of head retention and a little under carbonated (to be expected though at 12 days). Taste starts off fine but finishes with a harsh almost chemically rubber taste.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Edit: also, the taste mellows slightly when the beer warms a bit.

That's what I thought as well. But I used cleanitizer. I live in South Florida so the chlorine content in my water might be a little high.

Never heard of cleanitizer, do yourself a BIG favor and start using an iodophor like starsan, etc.

Is the flavor more like a band aid taste? If so it might be your water profile. Often times if you use city water it will contain chloramine. This is a water treatment that the city will use. It can cause a rubbery or chemical taste much like a band aid. We have a couple solutions for this. It would be best to email or call us and we can figure out what the exact problem is and how to solve it.

[email protected]
512-300-2739

I got myself some star san and used that for the bottling and everything on the second batch. The band-aid taste might be what it is. Any way to fix that once its in the bottle?

Just found out my city does add chloramines to water and that will explain the taste....any way to fix this after its been bottled and/or while its in the primary?

Campden tablets, aka. potassium metabisulfite in powder form, may help with chloramine in your water. I think the rate is 1 crushed tablet per 5 gallons of water that you use.

I'm going to start using them.

Its not exactly undrinkable. But its just not pleasant. And I'm brewing to drink pleasant beer. Now I've got a Bo Pils sitting in primary that I'm gonna be mad if this flavor shows up in there too. Thankfully I don't smell it in the primary like I did with the pale ale.

Chuu said:
Its not exactly undrinkable. But its just not pleasant. And I'm brewing to drink pleasant beer. Now I've got a Bo Pils sitting in primary that I'm gonna be mad if this flavor shows up in there too. Thankfully I don't smell it in the primary like I did with the pale ale.

If you don't smell or taste it in this batch?? Maybe time to snag a sample to taste it?

I was going to check the gravity today anyways so that's what I'm gonna do.

Let a couple bottles sit in the fridge for a couple days. They taste great now. No detectable off flavor.

Back