First brew fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkeye21

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a hefeweizen for my first time Tomorrow and need information regarding fermentation. The recipe calls for the temp to be between 60 and 72 but my unfinished basement is currently reading 54 to 58 degrees. Will this affect the end product my beer? Will fermentation take longer to complete? If it's too cool, what can I do keep the temp in the correct range? Lastly, thoughts on whether to rehydrate the yeast or pitching directly to wort? Thanks for the help.

What yeast are you using typically for hefes a liquid yeast is used and it requires a starter but I feel we're beyond that point now. I'd cool to about 60-62.pitch and then let it go from there. Once fermentation kicks in the temp will rise a little anyway. If the temp falls below 60 deg fermentation will slow and you may not hit your FG, maybe move it to a warmer part of your residence. I just brewed a hefe and it got to 63deg max then I moved it upstairs to warmer 66-68deg temps to finish out.

I would definitely recommend a warmer temp for a hefeweizen. The warmer temps will bring out the flavors that make it so good. If not using liquid yeast, I would also recommend rehydrating your yeast. Hope this helps and good luck!

Back