First Brew Ever, Just Realized We Made A Huge Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More_Hops_Please

Reaction score
So for our first ever batch we made sure we had all the gear we would need, read all the FAQ's, Palmer's book, and picked the brain of the local homebrew shop owner... we figured we did all of our homework and being 2 sharp guys, we were all set to brew our first beer.

That was a week ago and for the last week I've been thinking how great it was that we didn't make any mistakes, nailed our predicted OG, and even managed to tweak our IPA recipe with our own preferred hop selection. The fermenter smells delicious, primary is wrapped up and we're racking to secondary in 2 days so I decided to peruse the homebrewtalk forums and feel really good about myself and how well my first brew day went.

That was right up until I realized 10 minutes ago that somehow, as new brewers, even with all our homework, we missed one key point during the brewing process. Somehow we both missed the fact that "steeping" specialty grains does not mean "boiling" them. That's right... we boiled our grains at a full sea-level boil of 212 degrees for a full half hour, without even knowing that's not what you're supposed to do.

Hahahahaha! Oops. The thing is, the more important thing I've learned from all the homework is that it's really hard to ruin a beer. Also, I tasted the hydro sample just before pitching and honestly sensed no astringency whatsoever. So, I'm not overly worried about it. We'll just roll with it and see how it comes out. Who knows, maybe we'll boil grains every time we use Crystal if we like it.

Your last sentence said it best. Its hard to be "perfect" but everyone learns different ways and who knows you may have a winner on hand? :tank:

I have been brewing beer for going on two weeks now. Two weeks ago, I took a couple hour brewing class, and one week ago, I brewed my first IPA.
With all this vast wealth of knowledge I've built in my brewing career I realized the guy I paid money to teach me to brew boiled his grains as well!:confused:

This fella owns a hop farm, and has been brewing for years. It may not be the perfect way to do it, but it must not be too bad!?!:eek:

My first batch I botched letting an ale ferment in 45-50 degree garage for only 2 weeks. Racked just as cold for 1 more. My wife and I tasted the first bottle (sat at same temp again) a week after that and almost dumped the whole lot. We'll I brought the bottles back in the house and let them sit room temp for another month and the sh*t is rocking! My first brew a success! I'm officially addicted. And thanks to all the people on this site for sharing all their golden experience. Saved my first batch from watering the garden. PS Reading Dave Miller's Home Brewing Guide. He really clears stuff up for you.

Boiling the specialty grains isn't wrong per se, it just isn't as right as some other ways. The only way you get the astringency from boiling the grains is if the pH of the solution is too high. Some water will be that high so the addition of the grains will not be enough to make it acidic but that is fairly rare. As you learn more about brewing you will probably find other things about your first brew that weren't "right" but in the end you will still have made beer.

If that's the worst brewing mistake you ever make, you'll be doing well. I'll bet you don't do that one again, even on purpose.

I do love your good attitude about the whole thing. You gave me a good chuckle to go well with my morning coffee.

If it makes you feel better... I've been brewing for 20 years... Recently I brewed an Imperial Mild (I know, it's an oxy-moron)... I noticed that my run-off had a few small grains bit even after recirculating for a good 15-20 minutes via a pump... As it turns out, the CPVC manifold had popped a gap that allowed some grain bits to make it to the kettle.

Results: The kettle had a 2" thick layer of grain bits (along with trub, hops, etc)... I tasted the hydrometer sampler, and I immediately noticed a whallop of astringency. Well ... F***.

It's in the keg now, but I probably won't be drinking it. ;)

MC

I love your user name! I'm a hop lover and always think something can use more hops.

As far as boiling the grains, it's not ideal but it may turn out just fine in the flavor anyway. Try not to worry about it!

Live and learn! And really, this is not the worst "I think I ruined my first brew" story we've ever seen, by a long shot. Boiling a small amount of grains may or may not make for a tannin laden batch, but there's only one way to find out. I'm leaning to it not being a big deal, with all the hops and a small amount of steeping grain. Welcome to this wonderful hobsession of ours.

the more important thing I've learned from all the homework is that it's really hard to ruin a beer.

that, our new brewing brother, is really the heart of RDWHAHB

as a new brewer, I think this is almost as important to learning to brew as sanitation and fermentation temperature control. you really have to TRY to ruin beer to actually ruin it.

but think about it, we're doing what people no smarter than us were doing 1000 years ago and we have the advantage of better equipment, technique and ingredients. plus an almost unlimited pool of resources here on HBT and the rest of the internet.

good job! and welcome to the obsession

Thanks everyone for the words of welcome and support! I'm pretty excited to try it because I think it will really turn out fine. In the meantime... We moved to secondary today, which means our primary is open for the next batch! We're doing an Irish Red(with a bit of extra hops of course:) which we're just going to leave in primary until bottling(should be ready just in time for St. Pat's Day). Looking forward to feeding this new found obsession!

Back