First brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levers101

Reaction score
I had my first brew day today. :cross: Made some dumb mistakes. I "misundestimated" the amount of water that would boil off and had just over 5 gallons of water to brew with today. (DoH!) I was boiling filtered water at the last minute to make up for my mistake.

Went to put my airlock in my primary bucket and the #&$#^! rubber grommet pushed through into the bottom of my wort. Grr... Had to steal the grommet off my bottling bucket lid. I hope I haven't made "Blown Tire" Extra Pale Ale from the rubber grommet giving it a funk rubber taste, I figured I'd do more damage trying to fish it out than leaving it in though.

So it was a learning process...

Now to the brew pub in town for some birthday beers... :tank:

LOL ain't it great? No worries though- your beer will be fine. If something like that happens again, just stick a blowoff tube (sanitized of course) through the hole in your bucket lid and put the other end in and ice cream pail or something with water or sanitizer in it.

BTW congrats on another trip around the sun.....

Right now I have active fermentation going on. I really think the Wyeast 125 mL Activator packs are the stuff. When I got back from the bar this morning there was already some bubbling, so it took off in less than 10 hours. Compared to my cider where I was using dry yeast which took about 2 days to start fermenting, I'm impressed.

Back