First Brew Day is This SUNDAY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that throwing a sanitized penny into the boil will reduce it enough for you to lower heat so it doesn't boil over. I've also read about spraying cold water and using a fan will prevent it as well.

I work in a restaurant and boil things all the time, but I've never experienced an over boil happen as quickly as I almost had today. This is a new level of cookery for me.

Kill the heat before adding your extract and stir it in, the water bottle helps, be careful at hop additions also.

You made beer, now don't rush the fermentation process and leave the top on!:rockin:

I didn't have a hydrometer for like my first 6 months of brewing. You can ballpark the ABV based on the recipe, you'll see primary fermentation with the airlock bubbling. Just let it ferment for about 2 weeks. Chances are if you get bubbles for the first few days then it's fine. You won't know 100% that you hit your FG but heck you're going to taste it and you'll know if it's good or not. I wouldn't stress it, but get one for future brews.

Also, congrats to you! Sorry for not saying that. Welcome to the obsession. Last thing, when you get a hydrometer look at getting a wine thief for taking readings. I have a real cheap one that I've used for a long time and I love it.

I actually already bought a hydrometer on Amazon. I'm going to need to know the gravity of it when I brag to all my friends later.

I already have bubbles in the airlock. Is it bad that I woke up in the middle of the night worrying about whether or not I sanitized properly or if I let my yeast activate long enough before I pitched it. I actually lost sleep over this stuff. I'm a nerd!

My plan is to brew a few more 5 gallon extracts and step up to partial grain and eventually get that real all grain going.

Is it bad that I woke up in the middle of the night worrying about whether or not I sanitized properly or if I let my yeast activate long enough before I pitched it. I actually lost sleep over this stuff. I'm a nerd!

If lying awake in bed thinking about brewing makes me a nerd, then come lay your eyes upon me fellow nerds, for I am your king!

Sometimes the morning after a long brew day I run downstairs like a kid on Christmas morning just to see if the bubbles have started.

Haha!! That was the first thing I did this morning. I counted a bubble every 30 seconds or so. Now it's going about every 5 seconds.

Haha!! That was the first thing I did this morning. I counted a bubble every 30 seconds or so. Now it's going about every 5 seconds.

It will most likely ramp up quick with the most activity happening over the next couple days. By the end of the week, if it stops bubbling, don't worry because that's normal. Stick to your fermentation schedule. Even with no signs of bubbles the suspended yeast will be consuming chemicals that cause off-flavors. I usually do one week in primary, one week in secondary, then keg and carbonate/condition for a week (or longer depending on the style). If you're not planning on transferring to a secondary fermenter, that is ok. I would just let it sit in primary for 2 weeks to give the yeast time to "clean-up", then bottle or keg.

Back