First Brew Day Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBigDog

Reaction score
Right at the end of my boil, my 6 gallon glass carboy broke against my garage floor. Only fell from 2 inches and shattered.

911 run to the LHBS, and picked up a couple more better bottles. No more glass for me!

Right at the end of my boil, my 6 gallon glass carboy broke against my garage floor. Only fell from 2 inches and shattered.

911 run to the LHBS, and picked up a couple more better bottles. No more glass for me!

This is the single biggest reason i use better bottles.

Better bottles! Light and easy to clean. No more glass for me.

If that thing was full of beer imagine what a mess it could have been! Better bottles ftw

It was full of star san. I was getting ready to siphon out the sanitizer so I could add the wort.

Yeah, I'll never use glass again. It even had the Brew Hauler on it. Must have caught at the perfect angle.

Pretty embarrasing, considering I was teaching a buddy how to brew.

i was trying to get the fking rubber stopper out that fell in my carboy. slipped in my hands and smash. got the rubber stopper out!!

It was full of star san. I was getting ready to siphon out the sanitizer so I could add the wort.

Yeah, I'll never use glass again. It even had the Brew Hauler on it. Must have caught at the perfect angle.

My advice for the future would be never fill your carboy with starsan. Just need enough to shake around and contact all the surfaces and you'll be good to go. :D

I personally feel carboys are for wine or mead and buckets are for beer....

Ok, maybe if I brew a 'ferment +1month' style beer, but I've only done one of those.

and +1 on the 'don't fill all the way with sanatizer'...

I switched to all plastic drinking vessels in my house just to be on the safe side. You can never be too careful.

for optimum safety I recommend kegging and taking a picnic tap straight to the face. for parties you just set the keg in the middle of the table and everyone pulls a mouthfull when they want a drink.

If you are going to use glass carboys (I have two), I strongly recommend you place carpet swatches on your hard surfaced floor. My brewshop has concrete floors, but my carboys have never touched the concrete. Even setting the carboy down gently on a concrete surface makes a sound that sends tingles up my spine.

Despite the risk of breakage, I keep using glass carboys for secondaries. I'm just careful with them. But I use plastic buckets for primary. Don't BB's share the same problem as buckets with air seeping through the plastic prohibiting long-term conditioning?

Don't BB's share the same problem as buckets with air seeping through the plastic prohibiting long-term conditioning?

Nope. The plastic BBs are made of has been shown to have the same air-permeability as glass carboys.

I've got one glass carboy used for apfelwein and as a secondary and it's 4 or 5 years old. It fits perfectly into an old milk crate and only comes out to be cleaned in a plastic tub sink.

Well at least your floor was sanitized:D

Back