First Brew Consumed and Disaster Avoided (for now)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allaboutduncan

Reaction score
Bottled my first brew 11 days ago and had the first bottle last night -- and it was awesome.

But, I'm surprised it came out so well. The boil and ferment without a hitch, but I made a great newbie mistake when bottling. I primed for a 5 gal. batch, but had brewed a 2.5 gal batch. I realized this the night after bottling and prepped for bottle bombs.

I place the beer in a covered tub in the closet. Uncapped a bottle after 5 days and only had a slight hiss (much like a real beer). Re-capped and waited another 5 days.

Placed one in the fridge for 48 hours and popped the top on it last night. A little over carbed, but not bad. Poured and look great and tasted even better.

Jan%20056.jpg

The recipe was the A-Z Brown Ale from Extreme Brewing book. My ABV was a bit over and it packs a good punch, but it's a good beer and I'm sure it will get better as it ages. Malty with a slight fruit note with a little hop finish. Almost like an Old Speckled Hen - but stronger and more carbed.

Dropping the rest in the fridge tonight to slow/stop any more CO2.

OG: 1.069
FG: 1.011
ABV: 7.58 %

Thanks for all the silent help - now to find time to brew the next 3 or 4 batched I've got planned.

Throw the rest of those beers in the fridge ASAP. Otherwise you will have many overcarbed, useless beers taking up bottle space.

Back