First brew, big success!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdufford

Reaction score
Just popped open my first brew and it's great! Wanted to thank everyone for all the wonderful help...you guys are awesome!

Here's a pic:

Can't wait till my next one is finished...

isn't this a great resource? congrats on your beer. start a new batch ASAP so you'll have the current one to enjoy and ponder over while your second bubbles away.

Homebrewtalk is amazing man. I've already got my second started, a pale ale. Now I just have to drink my first fast enough to have enough bottles for this one!

You know, you aren't a real home brewer until you get your HomeBrewTalk.Com sticker right?

Good head! Nice color. Did you get much lacing?

You know, now might be a good time ask this question outright:

What is lacing, and why do homebrewers often talk about it?

Does lacing just refer to the bubbly residue that lines the glass as you drink it down? If so, I saw a lot of that.

If you don't get good lacing, don't be too depressed about it... but if you get good lacing, it's time to get PSYCHED. Heh!

Congrats on your first brew, and try to reserve a few bottles to age a bit and see how it matures. I drank most of my first beer, a week after it was carbed, I've hence reverted to buying craft beer till my next two batches are ready to enjoy.

Congrats on your first brew, and try to reserve a few bottles to age a bit and see how it matures. I drank most of my first beer, a week after it was carbed, I've hence reverted to buying craft beer till my next two batches are ready to enjoy.

Yea, I think I will. I opened my first at the two week point, and found it to be fully carbed...well, as far as I can tell anyway. I'll keep the bulk of it out of my fridge and in the closet until I'm ready to drink it.

Once it's fully carbonated, it will continue to "age" whether it's in the fridge or not, correct?

Yes, the beer will continue to age and mature in the fridge, but maybe not as well as if you cellered it and let the beer mature naturally. Cold temps will stop certain work the yeast and beer is going thru. From everything I've read and heard, aging beer by cellering (storing in a cool dry 60-65 degrees) is prefered to keeping it in a fridge for extended periods of time... I store mine in the coolest part of the garage, protected from sunlight and moisture, and put se on the fridge a day or two before I drink them.

Grats, looks (and apparently tastes) better than my first attempts. Longer/more you do it the better it/you get, so your off to a great start.

Warning, it gets addictive, time to start making an excuse roll-a-dex to offer up to your significant other ;)

Back