First brew and I got some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megalodon77

Reaction score
I'm a new(first time solo) brewer and I've got a few questions.
1. I made my mead on the 24 of April and it is still bubbling. After a week or so it was bubbling about every 5 seconds and now it is going at about 8 seconds. Should I wait till it's not bubbling any more or should I rack it now?
2. My only ingredients were cinnamon, cloves and coriander and most are still at the top. Is this common or should I be concerned?

1. Wait, you can keep it in primary until it starts to clear. No big deal
2. Totally fine!

JC there is correct. Also airlock bubbling dies not always mean that it is fermenting. It could be dry but dissolved CO2 is just degassing. But if you added no nutrients then it is possible for it to be slowly fermenting for near 6 months lol. Only way to tell is using a hydrometer. Finally those spicy may not sink. Don't worry about that.

You can leave in primary for a long time with no ill effect...I would wait until it is almost totally cleared before moving it. The floating stuff might eventually drop once the active fermentation stops and there isn't as much active CO2 off-gassing...no big deal if it doesn't...just rack from underneath the stuff.

Sent from my iPad Mini using HBT Mobi

I used seeds of paradise and orange peels and if I recall, seeds of paradise never floated to the bottom. I just racked from under all that junk and it was okay.

I didn't add any nutrients... hope I don't have to wait 6 months for it to stop.

It may take years to fully develop but that does not mean you can't of something tasty in a shorter period of time. I just don't want the OP discouraged.

Just let this ride and see how it goes. Your next batch will be even better from what you learn here. Just understand that mead making can be for the lazy. The more you wait the better it always is. But a lot of work in the beginning will pay off with a good mead sooner that just becomes fantastic if you can stand to hold off on some bottles for a year or two.

Ok I can understand that. With me I am excited, proactive and all about the brew when I start a new batch so I do all the important stuff during active fermentation but when it comes to secondary and such I do not forget about it but become lazy and think. Oh ill bottle that tomorrow. Then a year passes and I decide to finally bottle the batch sine I have made 3 others since this one and need the carboy.

A chemist in my lab told me a great quote;
"A lazy worker finds a way to get a job done the quickest."

Which, for mead, makes me hesitant to ever be 'lazy'. :D

However, in no ill-manner, you could say the BOMM is inspired by... lazyness? Impatience? Love for drinking liquid gold?

To the untrained eye, extreme efficiency almost looks like laziness.

I am extremely efficient!

Better brewing through science!

I'm a poor college student and only have two 5 gallon carboys right now so I'm looking forward to racking it and moving on to the next project. I don't mind letting most of the mead sit and mature, I just want my carboy back. I plan on buying another carboy or one of those big mouth bubblers . Probably gonna make some beer next. I look forward to posting here more cause I think I may have even found a teacher sponsor at my university for me to start a brewing club.

Back