First Bottling; Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

124Spider

Reaction score
I bottled my first 5-gallon batch last Thursday (a Brewer's Best red ale). I think all went well.

When I finished the boil several weeks earlier, and transferred the cooled wort to my first fermentation bucket, I topped it up (took very little) to 5 gallons, as instructed. After transferring to a secondary carboy (after a week), and then to my bottling bucket (two weeks later), it was down to about 4-1/2 gallons.

I know that I left quite a bit in the first bucket, since there was so much gunk in the bottom I didn't want to transfer to the secondary. Very little more was lost transferring to the bottling bucket (much less sediment), and very little was left in the bottling bucket at the end.

So, the questions:

1. Is the amount I have lost somewhat normal? Is there any way to end up with 5 gallons, given that everything's measured for five gallons to start with, and so I don't want to dilute it?

2. I'm planning to leave my beer in the bottles, in a dark room, at about 67 degrees Fahrenheit, for three weeks or a bit more, then I'll refrigerate it. Is there any need to refrigerate it all at once, or can I leave most of it unrefrigerated until I am a week or two from drinking it?

3. How long can one leave it unrefrigerated, and how long can one leave it in the fridge, until it starts to get less good?

Thanks!

Mark

1. You'll get better at racking once you have a bit more experience. At that point you won't lose to much. I generally top off to 5.25 gallons, which puts me within OG range and leaves enough that I'll end up with about 5 gallons after racking, etc.

2. No need to refrigerate all at once unless you have the space.

3. Depends on the type of beer. IPA's will lose their hop aroma after a couple of months. However, big porters and stouts will go from good to amazeballs the longer they sit.

dont' worry about what you left behind... enjoy what you kept.

and only put bottles you are going to drink into the fridge, and add to it as needed... i generally keep about 6 in there, and the rest in the case in the basement.

as far as how long it lasts, i've never tested that theory before

I bottled my first 5-gallon batch last Thursday (a Brewer's Best red ale). I think all went well.
Welcome hope your enjoying the new hobby!!
When I finished the boil several weeks earlier, and transferred the cooled wort to my first fermentation bucket, I topped it up (took very little) to 5 gallons, as instructed. After transferring to a secondary carboy (after a week), and then to my bottling bucket (two weeks later), it was down to about 4-1/2 gallons.
This is normal.
I know that I left quite a bit in the first bucket, since there was so much gunk in the bottom I didn't want to transfer to the secondary. Very little more was lost transferring to the bottling bucket (much less sediment), and very little was left in the bottling bucket at the end.
This is why!
So, the questions:

1. Is the amount I have lost somewhat normal? Is there any way to end up with 5 gallons, given that everything's measured for five gallons to start with, and so I don't want to dilute it?
This is normal, most batches are brewed to 5 gallons so it is easier scaled to 1 or 10 gallon recipes, also most fermentors are 5-6.5 gallon and when accommodating headspace makes it around what these vessels can handle. 5gal batches yeild 48 12oz bottles or 2 cases. 5gal is 640oz, 48 12oz bottles are 576oz. the recipes calculate for this loss. If you would like to end up with more beer you can scale your batch size to 6 or 6.5 gallons as long as you can ferment it in a larger vessel
2. I'm planning to leave my beer in the bottles, in a dark room, at about 67 degrees Fahrenheit, for three weeks or a bit more, then I'll refrigerate it. Is there any need to refrigerate it all at once, or can I leave most of it unrefrigerated until I am a week or two from drinking it?
DO NOT CHILL UNTIL BOTTLES ARE FULLY CARBED. Leaving them at 68-70 degrees for about 3-4 weeks should be enough time to fully carb them. Yeast go dormant and drop out at colder temps, thus not being able to carb the final beer if chilled (realized this was not your question just wanted to verify) Once carbed theres no reason to keep them chilled, although it might "preserve" it longer were only talking a week or two after 4-5months in the bottle.
3. How long can one leave it unrefrigerated, and how long can one leave it in the fridge, until it starts to get less good?
I keep a fridge of stocked beer at all times, diff styles. I also have a cellar of larger and beers i just want hanging around for that "mood" If kept properly, at cellar conditions moderate-low humidity and between 50-60 (might be high to some but ive never seen any drawbacks) you can keep beer for years without spoiling. On the flipside IPAS, pale ales, ambers, any hoppy or low ABV beers should all be drank "fresher" and would go bad IMO around 4months in the bottle.
Thanks!
Enjoy hope i helped!
Mark

I highlighted and bolded my remarks
Enjoy your new obsession!

Back